Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1994 GSX-R 750
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 94 gsxr 750. This bike sat cover outside for many years. Rain a moisture made it in to the motor. Not sure how bad yet I stopped when I saw this. Need to know if there's a way to clean the valve tops without take off head. I'm also new this is my first post and my first gsxr! Any help would be a blessing at this point.

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,453 Posts
Welcome new guy
Kudos on posting in more or less the correct area!

Ouch! That doesn't need a 'cleaning'.

If that's what you see just peeking inside, I'm betting the cylinder bores and crankcase are equally gross. Have you even verified that the motor isn't seized? I'm betting it is and you'll need a complete tear-down and rebuild after attempting to resurface / replacing everything that is rusted over.

Post pics of the bike itself along with mileage and anything else you know about it. We can probably spot a lot of things you won't if it's your first gix. If it's a trainwreck overall, it might not be the wisest use of money, unless you're a masochistic bike restorer in search of a big project.

·
Registered
1994 GSX-R 750
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome new guy
Kudos on posting in more or less the correct area!

Ouch! That doesn't need a 'cleaning'.

If that's what you see just peeking inside, I'm betting the cylinder bores and crankcase are equally gross. Have you even verified that the motor isn't seized? I'm betting it is and you'll need a complete tear-down and rebuild after attempting to resurface / replacing everything that is rusted over.

Post pics of the bike itself along with mileage and anything else you know about it. We can probably spot a lot of things you won't if it's your first gix. If it's a trainwreck overall, it might not be the wisest use of money, unless you're a masochistic bike restorer in search of a big project.
These are the pics from today as this is the first day I'm getting in to this. I got the bike yesterday. I do want to restore this bike to rideable as it's from my years of first loving gsxr. Growing up in the 90s they dominated the streets. It's my 3rd bike 02 bandit 1200,2019 rebal 300 and now :) 94 gsxr 750. I'm lookin to eventually do the 906 swap so it's more or less I'm looking to see if it's fixable and rideable until I do the swap or just do it now. Thanks for your speedy reply!!

Attachments

·
8,453 Posts
FYI, the other guy @Beairsto Racing actually IS a master restorer / engine builder. I lack the balls and the skills to undertake a project like yours but even I spotted that your engine needs a full teardown.

Next, by the time a bike gets street-fightered as yours is, that's usually at the end of a hard life of crashing and abuse, one stop before the salvage yard. Yours left streetfighter in the rear view mirror long ago. Different wheels, no body work, no airbox or carbs etc... and a single disc brake up front usually suggests it's been drag-raced. I mean no offense but that's a part-out bike, unless you have (very) deep pockets and a LOT of skill, like @Beairsto Racing.

When you get down to it, a clean '94 that runs smoothly will sell for a FRACTION of what it's going to cost you to put that bike on the road, or even the track and you won't even know if the motor is salvageable until you start spending. I see a slippery slope / money pit from hell.

It's a project you'll regret starting - sorry bud. However that's just my two bits.

·
Registered
1994 GSX-R 750
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, the other guy @Beairsto Racing actually IS a master restorer / engine builder. I lack the balls and the skills to undertake a project like yours but even I spotted that your engine needs a full teardown.

Next, by the time a bike gets street-fightered as yours is, that's usually at the end of a hard life of crashing and abuse, one stop before the salvage yard. Yours left streetfighter in the rear view mirror long ago. Different wheels, no body work, no airbox or carbs etc... and a single disc brake up front usually suggests it's been drag-raced. I mean no offense but that's a part-out bike, unless you have (very) deep pockets and a LOT of skill, like @Beairsto Racing.

When you get down to it, a clean '94 that runs smoothly will sell for a FRACTION of what it's going to cost you to put that bike on the road, or even the track and you won't even know if the motor is salvageable until you start spending. I see a slippery slope / money pit from hell.

It's a project you'll regret starting - sorry bud. However that's just my two bits.
No worries brother this is why I payed it I trust the community :) looks like I'm in the market for anther bike ;) I have a scope cam in going to have a look this weekend and see what I see .I have the plastic and tank but i agree is been ride hard and layer down from the looks of it. Thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
is the bike complete? if you have it all might be a worthwhile endeavour depending how clean the bodywork is.. the engine might just need to be refreshed? carbs rebuilt, tank cleaned, so forth.. any idea why the carbs were removed and let to sit like this? too bad they didn't throw plastic baggies and zip ties around the boots? was that cuz the engine is toast or just neglect? might be worth tearing it down having a look? those parts do sell now and again as well..

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,528 Posts
Agreed...you're not out anything by pulling it apart.
You can determine what is salvageable, was there pre-existing damage before it was left open to the elements etc.
However, water and corrosion has wreaked havoc in the cylinder head...leaked down into the cylinder...more damage from the corroding dissimilar metals between the pistons, rings and cylinder wall...and then made it's way to the rods and crank, transmission etc.
Post some pictures when you tear into it.

It's nothing that money can't fix. $$

·
Registered
1994 GSX-R 750
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll keep u posted as I proceed. If it's just the head I'm cool with that. But whole engine won't be worth the investment even being a classic.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
take that long block drain oil real good, 5 gallons of diesel and a garbage can, toss it in for a few days or weeks with lid on it, maybe some sort of vibratory tool under it to give it sonic action... lol, make it easy for yourself... harbor freight sells evaporust by the gallon, $12 or so? you can add 1 gallon distilled water for a 50/50 blend 3 gallons should cover, you can save the mixture filter well.. then maybe a diesel or a penetrant dip for a few days to creep into threads and such make the job easy and clean.. that way parts are good and clean ready for the market if its parted..

·
Registered
1994 GSX-R 750
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The motor was crunchy when rolled over by hand and scope down the plug hole showed rust on piston tops she's off to the scrap yard.. in to the next one. Thanks for your help brothers.

·
8,453 Posts
That's precisely what was expected from your first pic.

It's a shame. In the right hands, that would be brought back. That's not a critique of you. There's no way in hell I'd take-on that project.

·
Registered
1994 GSX-R 750
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what you mean. I could rebuild it and restore the bike but just more then I want to take on at this point. I'd rather build something with alil more power if I'm gonna put in the wrench and money in to it.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
not the scrap yard, there is money in that engine, some parts are getting hard to find, part or sell as is, give it away on craigs whatever... hale someone might get it road worthy again? I wouldn't want to cuz I am not setup but some are, they have the chem dip tanks with nothing in them, parts accessible, some of the nicest bikes on the road used to be basket cases and neglected bikes, my SRAD was very neglected today it's as good or better than a new one..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts