Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone cut down a regular Yosh Pipe (RS3) to make it a short can? I have a RS3 can on my 04 GSXR 1000 and I want to make it look like the new short style coming out for the 05.
Any help would be nice!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
there are several guys on here that have done that.....
i have not, but think that all you would need is a grinder w/ a cutting wheel, and a pop rivet tool......
look around a little in the 1000 forum....you'll find the posts...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was reading through some of the post and seen that you were asking the same question. I just want to make sure before I go and start cutting on my Yosh can. I sure it would be easy, cut and then pop rivet the base back on.

·
Registered
876 Posts
yeah, i dont think with the yosh any TIG work would be involved....i could be wrong though
(the guy on here who did his micron, had a little welding to do)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, I've been cutting my cans down for 3 years! (Aftermarket Exhaust company stole it from me i tell ya!!! LOL) I've cut Yosh, Micron, Hindle and others!

The key to doing this and getting it right is TAKING YOUR TIME!!! Even when you are frustrated, DO NOT take it out on the can and end up denting or cracking your expensive can. And think about things BEFORE you do them, i saw one kid tapping the end cap carefully back on, using a rubber mallet, thinking he was being careful, then we picked the can up and the other side was all mashed from the ground!!! SO BE CAREFUL, but if you do it right, the rewards are DEF worth it

You need to dril the rivets out of the front part of the cant (the end the faces the front of the bike) and pull the insides out of the can. Then take and equal amount (whatever you decide for length, measure before you take it apart as to how long you want the can!) Take an equal amount off of both the outter skin of the can, and the inner core.

Here's the tricky part, you are going to cut off the front (faces front of bike) of the outter skin and cut the end (faces back of bike) off the inner core! It'll make more sense when its apart. Then wrap the packing tightly around the core, slide it into the skin, and re-assemble, making sure that the inner core is on the end cap correctly. This is also where you have to take yout time and great care to not mess it up!!! Then re-rivet the can back together, you'll have to drill holes in the front part of the can and use nice rivets!!!

I currently have a Full Ti- Hindle system with the can cut down to 15" on my bike, sounds GREAT! Nice and throaty but screams like a racebike at WOT when im REALLY on it! I LOVE IT!!!

Good Luck and take you time! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
876 Posts
good info brotha!!! thank you man!
i think im going to give it a shot....

·
Registered
116 Posts
That does look nice, would be nice if you could get a bracket to hold the pipe below the logo sticker..
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I'll bet i could figure something out for the hanger, but it barely covers the sticker and i tought it looked good so i left it.

I was gonna say i never did a Tri (Was going to do the C/F Tri that was on that bike, but i got the full Hindle instead) But there is a pic of one, so i guess its just like the others, TAKE YOUR TIME!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well after the cutting of my micron...I love it. I went to the dealers yesterday and they had a K5 set up with the same can and it looks horrible now that mine is cut. The short can is the only way to go. Also just some input on the cutting of a micron can. You may want to use a marker to strike a line down the inner perforated tube. This is to ensure that both of the oval ends are welded in alignment. It would be very easy to shift this slightly if careful attention isnt paid. I also agree that taking you time is a must.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,033 Posts
Heres one done to a TRI
That's just the bolt on piece too. Hmmmmm, that looks really good, wonder how it sounds (still has the SET in place I see).

After looking at that maybe I should just get the regular TRS instead of waiting on the TRC and chop that puppy up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
guys
this may be a stupid question, but is it hard to find SS rivets? where did you get yours?
thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
good call on the Micron, since it requires welding and if the inner core is even slightly of center the skin might not go back on!!! Microns i think are the hardest to chop for that reason, the bolt together design at the end. Good design, bad for chop, LOL!

A bolt-on can be chopped just as easily, i just dont think they look or sound as good! but definately a cheaper alternative!!!

HUH? i didn't even look to see what kind of rivets i used, i guess if they start to rust ill replace them. Mine look like Aluminum?!?! do they make alum rivets???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.