Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need to put in a spar across the front just above the headers to take 2 lugs off it to support the engine but can't get the tube in without removing the headers. Its alright suzuki fitting ti headers but 20yrs has taking its toll on the mild steel bolts. Gonna have to remove the front end to drill them out!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Allen key is turning inside them, I tried a small pair of stilsons, not much room in there though. Might be a good idea to weld a nut onto the head. That's a good video not seen that before

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
yup, welding works great but you need a tig, or some sort of wire feed, use a thin copper insert all the way down to broken stud to protect threads and insure you do not weld to them.. walks right out, start just as the red heat disappears still very hot..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I started off with some easy outs for socket head bolts, but
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Cloud
Automotive tire Wood Fender Metal Personal protective equipment
Automotive tire Tire Tread Wood Bicycle part
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Gas Wood
that didn't go to plan 🙄 the easy out for socket head didn't work so I got a m10 nut & drilled it out 0.5mm smaller than the head of the bolt, then hammered it on then welded it on the inside. Worked fairly well, snapped one & I'm struggling to get the last one out. I tried a 1/4 Allen key it went in then rung out. Tried an 8mm but too big, I've got it moving with a large screwdriver & hammer. I tried welding a nut on the outside leaving enough room for spanner but that didn't work 😠 don't like to be beat but I had to stop as it was getting late 😒

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
are you soaking any of these first? always soak first with Kroil or a good creeper, overnight, helps, then while still hot from weld wiggle back and forth to break it loose, let cool, spray with more creep.. helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yay it's out, welded nut to the stud & heated the threaded hole on the engine. It fought me all the way. I discovered the 32mm tube I made up to go across the front of the engine just above the headers won't go in unless I reduce the width which would mean filling the gap around the mitred ends with weld which would reduce the strength. So plan B is to weld 4 (2 each side) threaded bosses to the frame down tubes then make up a triangular bracket to the threaded holes on the engine like this

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been playing around with different ideas, could still use tge tube across the front cut & slug it. I've been doing some templates with paper & card then 3D copying the original brackets

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts