Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today Mr Brown brought me the seat I sent to Sargent Cycle to have refoamed and custom upholstered.

They were good to deal with when it came to matching vinyl colors to the faded 16 yr old paint. Their website is informative so a novice can use the correct terms and get the seat of their liking.

But maybe I just too picky to let someone else work on my bike.
I don't like the seam alignment of their work. I not only took great attention to detail when I drew the pattern on the original seat, I used a compass, protractor, straight edge and radius form to ensure the pattern would be the way I want it.

Bill at Sargent Cycles informed me today when I asked what could be done that he "made the marks on the vinyl before giving it to the upholsters to work with" and that "any irregularities were as a result of your(my) pattern."

I asked what could be done to make the cover symetrical. Bill indicated I could send it back and they would charge me another "unique styling charge plus materials" (another $85 in addition to the $324.90 spent)

Before I continue "whining" take a look for yourselves...

Looks fine here...

But I don't think they aligned this seam at all, and it wasn't needed in my opinion.

This side aligned pretty well...

But this side isn't level and I have no idea where that downward curve came from.

Initially I suggested I send the cowl the seat sits in (as you can see in the images) with the seat, but Bill told me it wasn't needed and would only slow them down. Now I wish I'd ignored him and sent it anyway...

Be honest guys. Am I expecting too much for $324? or did Sargent drop the ball and let poor workmanship get out the door?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
they dropped the ball 324.00 I would take it back and have them re-do it so the seams are level and the seat is level
poor form for sarget seats
-Karl

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Oh, I'd be disappointed... I'm so freakin' impatient though, and summer is nearly here... I doubt I'd have the patience to take it back and have it done over, even if I wouldn't have to fight with them over it. `course, my bike has a lot of little imperfections... I've never owned anything that could be considered a "showpiece".

·
Banned
982 Posts
Thats fucked up!!!!!!!You got jerked!
If You go to Website www.joeypsychos.com
You will see that I use matching leather for almost 1/2 that price!!!!!!!!

Vinyl is shit!They probably spent $20 in materials..at the most!!!!

And the quality dos'nt look all that either!

Sorry!But,You should have chose JoeyPsychos!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That would piss me off too. All thoes red x's all over the place really suck.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I got both of my seats reupholstered in black leather for $40

they wanted $80 but the wife managed to talk them down to $40

of course that's not with foam or a custom job

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
wow that sounds like way too much cash for vinyl and an imperfect job. For that sort of money it should meet your expectations.
Surely they should be providing a first class service for that sort of money and work.

Tell them to fo f**k themselves if they reckon that it's OK and don't use them ever again .

Joey sounds like he's got a point, did you chack anywhere else before you went to them ?

Anyway it still looks nice to me and most everyone else I guess.

I'm the same with my bike, I know where allof the imperfections are and they piss me off but most other people don't see any of them. It just that you know it's not to your standards but at least you've learnt and it's not like they put you in danger or anything.

Andy

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, here's a copy of the email I sent to Sargent Cycles.

===================
Bill, regarding our conversation this morning. I was not happy with your answer. I posted images of your work in a Suzuki GSX-R forum to get answers from others regarding the workmanship. If you connect to the links below you will see their responses.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001016

and

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=011062

Here's what I want done.

I want the vinyl portion redone properly. I intend to send the cowl with the seat to enable the upholsters to get the alignment properly.

In my opinion your work is not acceptable and I should not pay to have it shipped, corrected, and returned to me. Sargent Cycles should take responsibility for it.

I expect to be contacted as soon as you are able, which should be before April 10th.

Call me at ####### to arrange the return of the seat.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Normally, I wouldn't comment on something like this, but PROFESSIONAL service should be PROFESSIONAL, no matter what you paid. If there are obvious imperfections it is because of the craftsman and he should own up to it. It's not like you did this yourself or a friend did it for you, you paid for a "pro's" expertise.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree with everyone else. You paid to have it done to your satisfaction, send it back till they get it right. Tell them BAD news travels like a wild fire in dry timber!

Good luck, let us know how it works out

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wow, $324 bucks and they didn't even get it close...I'd be pissed off!! I hope they take it back, fix it to your satisfaction, and don't charge you a dime(they should even pay your shipping cost!!)..
.Good luck, man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts