Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another fun project that took a few hours to make. Everyone charges too much for one of these (100 bucks or more), and then I'd have to re-locate my instrument cluster or ram air tube or modify my headlight with one of their mounts... or worse, have the dampner mounted the other way and have that arm sticking out, waiting to stab my knee.
The Daytona dampner I got on e-bay, w/o a mount...

Fuck that... This is how it's done! no re-locating anything! Learn something you dumbass manufacturers!!!

I made this from an old triple tree bottom that a friend of mine bent on his old bike. I knew I could use it one day so I kept it... I don't have fancy tools either, just a drill to insert a steel threaded shaft into the bolt mount, this way the nut clamps on the mount to the shock and there is enough thread to screw on the ball joint that I modified (with a hacksaw) to fit from my POS stock dampner. A grinder bit for my drill cleaned up the edges. I'll polish the mount later... It has perfect clearance and comes within 1mm of the instrument cluster when turned to the right fully!

[ 11-30-2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: skidmark ]

·
Registered
14,162 Posts
I think your new name is McGuiver

·
Registered
26,441 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Damn Mark, you are really creative!!

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Make sure the threaded rod acting as a pinch bolt and connector to the ball joint is decent. I would make sure it would be the equivelant of a SAE grade 8 or so. If you used 'all thread' to make it, you are playing with fire. All thread is ga-bage. That stud will see a tremandous amount of shear force and even a bending moment if you ever get a slapper going on.

I like the clamp. You should have noproblems with it moving around.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Though its niffty. I tend to just not be a cheap ass and buy one that mounts as a top mount.

Will your bike turn sharp left? Looks like the damper will be in the way.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a damper that is similar in design, but I riveted the bracket on the frame and mine clears just fine from left lock to right lock with no problems. I am not arguing that some manufacturers may do some things cockeyed... and cause little discrepancies (did I spell that right? hehe). I don't know peep this out.

another thing... is I have mine turned way down as to get a more natural feel for the road, but give it a twist or two when I feel lazy.. hehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts