Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am just curious, Who here or if you know of anyone. Who purchased a new 10002k as their first bike.??? I know that there had to be some out there. come on speak up. ( sorry if this is a repost) I am not here to knock anyone for anything ( to each there own) I am just being curious. Also , what has happend sense your purchase.?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I started out on a '96 gix 1100.... not because i wanted to, but because a friend of mine was selling it and made me a RIDICULOUSLY good deal on it. I had spent most of my youth on a dirtbike, but knew absolutely nothing about street riding. The only good thing was, I KNEW what a bike that size was capable of and I had an EXTREMELY healthy dose of respect for it. Even so there were still a few times it scared the shit outta me. In fact, if it hadn't been for all the dirt bike experience I'm sure I'd probably be dead two or three times over...
Bottom line is, I took it very slow, had plenty of empty parking lot time, etc, and it was still a LONG time before I felt like I was in "control" of it's power. From there I moved on to an '04 1k4. Still to this day it's always quick to remind me just how much more respect it deserves over my old 1100....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds weird, but true. I have never been on a motorcycle out of the 26 yrs of my life. I decide one day that I wanted a bike-(and all my friends were getting one)-so I went out and made my purchase. I purchase(cash) a 2004 suzuki gsxr 1000. I am glad I did get the 1000. My height(6'2") and stomach would not have let me ride a 750(which I really wanted) and god alone a 600. (No offense to smaller bikes), I just know that I am too big for them. So thats my story on how I had to start off with a larger bike for my first and believe you, I know what it is capable of doing!!!!

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Re: Curiousity. Suzuki 1000 2k as first bike ( who did this

IDIOTS! The 1000 is the same size as the 750 and 600. Nice lame attempt at an excuse.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
.....believe you, I know what it is capable of doing!!!!

04 1000, first bike, zero previous seat time....even when you are riding "hard" im guessing your using about 1/100th of what that bike is capable of....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
one more thing.....

04 1000
Overall Length: 2045mm (80.5 in.) Overall Width: 715mm (28.1 in.) Overall Height: 1135mm (44.6 in.) Seat Height: 830mm (32.3 in.) Wheelbase: 1410mm (55.5 in.)

04 750
Overall Length: 2055mm (80.9 in.) Overall Width: 715mm (28.1 in.) Overall Height: 1150mm (45.3 in.) Seat Height: 825mm (32.5 in.) Wheelbase: 1400mm (55.1 in.)

04 600
Overall Length: 2055mm (80.9 in.) Overall Width: 715mm (28.1 in.) Overall Height: 1150mm (45.3 in.) Seat Height: 825mm (32.5 in.) Wheelbase: 1400mm (55.1 in.)

·
Registered
7,447 Posts

one more thing.....

04 1000
Overall Length: 2045mm (80.5 in.) Overall Width: 715mm (28.1 in.) Overall Height: 1135mm (44.6 in.) Seat Height: 830mm (32.3 in.) Wheelbase: 1410mm (55.5 in.)

04 750

04 600
Yep! Especially with the '05s. The 1000 is actually smaller yet. Larger displacement bikes do not exist for the purpose of larger people. Just a squidly excuse to get one. Actually, using that excuse only shows your ignorance and makes you a bigger squid.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Man am I getting rip on!!! Well, maybe I should have put it this way-When I went to purchase the bike, I sat on all three-the 600, 750, and 1000. For some odd reason the 1000 felt better. I DO know that there is a difference in the windscreen cause I ask the sales person can I get the bigger windscreen thats on the 1000 on the 750 and he stated no cause there is a difference in the front end or something like that. You guys are going by measurements and all that, I just stated what feels good to me!!!! I do believe there is a difference in the gas tanks, if I am not mistaken!!! Well anyways I just shared my opinion on what " I FELT COMFORTABLE RIDING" Well just when I thought this was a nice forum until the words IDIOTS and IGNORANCE pop up. You guys ride WHATEVER fits you, I'll ride WHATEVER fits ME!!! Simply as that. AND NO NEED FOR NAME CALLING!!!!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts

Man am I getting rip on!!! Well, maybe I should have put it this way-When I went to purchase the bike, I sat on all three-the 600, 750, and 1000. For some odd reason the 1000 felt better. I DO know that there is a difference in the windscreen cause I ask the sales person can I get the bigger windscreen thats on the 1000 on the 750 and he stated no cause there is a difference in the front end or something like that. You guys are going by measurements and all that, I just stated what feels good to me!!!! I do believe there is a difference in the gas tanks, if I am not mistaken!!! Well anyways I just shared my opinion on what " I FELT COMFORTABLE RIDING" Well just when I thought this was a nice forum until the words IDIOTS and IGNORANCE pop up. You guys ride WHATEVER fits you, I'll ride WHATEVER fits ME!!! Simply as that. AND NO NEED FOR NAME CALLING!!!!
no hard feelings. Av is just stating that you should have done your research before making a purchase. Sitting on the bike is a good way to feel what is comfortable but you are missing the whole point in knowing what the bike is capable of and what you are capable of.

We are just trying to educate new riders and try to limit the risk of you dropping the bike or anything that could happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Yep, your right, I understand. But like it was mention above, I am probably only using 1/100 of the power of what the bike can do!!!!! I dont even wanna know what it can do(meaning any bike) cause 3 days after I got the bike, my friend who I work with, crash into this interstate that we have in Detroit called I-75 doing about 115-120 mph. Yes, this is very true. He didnt die, thank god. And he was riding a 600cbr (Honda I think, with the undertail exhaust). But the doctors said that he had enough broken bones to where they didnt even count. They just started replacing everything with metal rods???? I RESPECT you guys(and gals) that ride to the extreme. I just went with the bigger bike cause it felt like I was just looking over the windscreen on the 600 and 750. I baby this bike. I know that you can get injuried in anything you do, but believe this. I love my skin too much. Plus(laugh if you want to), my wife somehow always end up wherever I ride the bike too. Detroit is not that big, if you know what I mean!!! The bike only goes as fast as I turn the throttle, and I havent turnt it that much. Top speed on my bike-I dont know, My speed-108 mph. Funny huh.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Re: Curiosity. Suzuki 1000 2k as first bike ( who did this

I would call all of this "tough love". We do not want to have to read about you getting killed by buying a bike that is TOO much for you. One wrong move on a 1000 and it + YOU can be TOAST!!!!!!! We all care about each other enough to slap each other around if we are doing something unintelligent by not having enough knowledge about something...... (make sense???)

Don't get mad........... We want you to be SAFE! (and ALIVE!!!)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Re: Curiosity. Suzuki 1000 2k as first bike ( who did this

I would call all of this "tough love". We do not want to have to read about you getting killed by buying a bike that is TOO much for you. One wrong move on a 1000 and it + YOU can be TOAST!!!!!!! We all care about each other enough to slap each other around if we are doing something unintelligent by not having enough knowledge about something...... (make sense???)

Don't get mad........... We want you to be SAFE! (and ALIVE!!!)

Yeah man just be safe. Get some saddle time and go take it to the track for a track school. Thats the only place a 1000cc or any sportbike can be ridden to its full extreme. Just be safe!!!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts

They just started replacing everything with metal rods????
Man..I hope he had good health insurance..and disability. I've got a couple big metal plates in my right arm...getting those things put in isn't cheap. Being out of work for 6+ months isn't cheap either! From the sounds of things I'm guessing his medical bills were in the 300-500k range _at least_.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts

hey mikey, good luck to ya.
dont take this stuff too personal, cos these people care. If they didnt, they wouldnt have posted responses. most of them know how easy it is to flip a 1k bike if the throttle control is a little ham fisted.

The '02 1k is a sweet bike - enjoy it, and be safe (usualy stuff - training, safety gear etc).

·
Registered
132 Posts

Hey Mike, just be very careful, 1K is a whole lot of bike even for a person that has been riding for a couple of years and this one is your 1st. Did you take the MSF course? i hope you did, if not you should take it right away, it wsill save your life one day. All of us here just want you to be safe, respect that right grip and ride to your skill level, it will keep you alive

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

I have to agree with most of these guys but I think av should apologize for the name calling. There's tough love and then there's just being mean. The only thing mean gets you is a bunch of pissed of people having a my dick is bigger e-fight. JMHO

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

ohh ohh, the pissing contest is on
Doh! see what I mean

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

Okay, the 1000 is not a good starter bike period.

I don't care how much you respect the bike, or how much of a good head you have on your shoulders. You're going to mess up, everyone does, and the GSXR1000 is an EXTREMELY unforgiving bike. In the hands of a new rider attempting to execute an emergency manuever, even the slightest mistake will be amplified exponentially in proportion to your level of inexperience.

Someone cuts you off, you grab a wee-bit much brake. You have looped the bike. You see a road hazard a bit late, and attempt to over compensate by slamming the clip-ons a few centimeters to far, you just laid her down.

It's not all about power, all of the R bikes are very unforgiving, and considering your lack of any saddle time, this is a death wish. If I were you, I would put some stabilizer in it, throw the battery on a tender, and buy a cheap ass bike, and ride it around for 6 months before you even start that 1k again.

Bigger is not always better, and it's deadly to the new rider. You are not nearly big enough or heavy enough to think you need a bike that powerful. You could just as easily rocket to 60mph in <3 seconds on a 600. You will not learn to ride properly on that motorcycle. Like you said, you are using 1/100th of the bike's potential. We have a saying for that:

I'd rather ride a "slow" bike fast, then ride a fast bike slow.

And by "slow" bike, we still mean able to absolutely creamate nearly all road cars in both the twisties and the straights. And by riding a fast bike slow, we mean hanging on and rocketing around hoping you don't die while guys on gs500s smoke you in the turns. It happens.

Like I said, you're going to make mistakes, we all do. If you make a mistake on a gs500 or an ex250, etc etc; you can probably dust yourself off, or simply change your underwear.

If you make a mistake on the 1000 (even a 5mph mistake can cost you THOUSANDS of dollars in repairs) you could end up real dead, real fast; and death is permanent.

Take my advice, or leave it; im just putting the facts out there for you. Read the stickies, be safe, and learn the correct way.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.