Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you people getting these cheap insurance rates?

I'm 21, riding 1 year on a 500, now when I want to go up to a 600 GSX-R my rates jump to 6-7k per year.... That's basic too.

Help!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
First questions, where are you in canada? Some places charge a lot more for insurance. Quebec comes to mind as the first place when I see you say $6-7K. Also ever had an accident on your old bike?

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
damn man im going on 20 with no wrecks or tickets and im paying $309 a year for basic insurance(no collision or comprehensive). i can put underinsured on it for 100 bucks more. Geico quoted me at 800 for the same thing, and progressive was 500. I went with allstate because i have my truck threw them but it doesnt give me a discount cause its still under my rents policy. Now full coverage is like 2850 at progressive and 2300 at allstate. Those are for 500 deductibles. Just shop around and see what kinda discounts you can get

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
First questions, where are you in canada? Some places charge a lot more for insurance. Quebec comes to mind as the first place when I see you say $6-7K. Also ever had an accident on your old bike?
yea i just noticed this is a canada subforum. Hmm those quotes were for South carolina,USA. Dont know abou canada. Just call some agents and try to get every discount you can get

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I should have been more clear, I'm in Hamilton, Ontario the absolute cheapest basic insurance I could get - note I'm 21, 1 year driving, motorcycle driving school certificate, M2, no accidents, no claims, no speeding tickets. $5100 a year for a 06 GSX-R 600. Insurance is different in the States, sadly.

If I could get some help with this I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
that's shitty to hear Krauser, i'm older with a clean record and pay 631.00 a year w/ full
coverage.i use co-operators ,last year was 1387.00/year.moved car insurance over to get a group policy discount.btw i live in alberta.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Here in NS I pay $374 for my insurance. Have 1 accident (only claimed the ambulance ride) and I still pay the same. Its only basic coverage as I don't really need to worry about theift in my neck of the woods :p Ont is another one of them places where the insurance is just crazy cause of the amount of accidents thats there. I can remember driving an truck (18 wheeler) around and seeing atleast 2-3 bike accidents everytime I was up there. BTW I don't know how age affects it on Ont, but here it doesn't matter, I'm 23 and pay the same as my uncle thats 40. Also doesn't matter what type of bike you have here, its all about the CC size.

·
Yaah I know!
1,020 Posts
Welcome to Ontario!!

Bend over and spread wide!!! It'll hurt a little, well a lot!!

I belive State farm and Co operators are the only once that will insure these bikes here. The government will not do a thing about it. It's cheaper to pay for track days then it is to insure the bike so some Paki can take you off like a pilon.

Good luck my 99 750 has been sitting for the last couple years cause I refuse to pay $ 950 a year

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have this same issue with insurance in Maryland, it's always been that way for me and the folks I know who pay the lowest premiums are military with USAA or they have their car/bike/house with State Farm. State Farm used to require that you insure your auto with them also and that rate was TRIPLE what I already paid with GEICO so it didn't make sense to insure my bike with them. Also no tickets (at the time), no accidents, and after 8 years, I feel like I've spoken with every insurance company in this country to no avail. Exhaust all of your resources and if you haven't spoken with 20 different companies (don't let them pull your credit!), then you have more work to do.

In the end, I'm short and you may be also, which means you'll have to choose from the best of the worst but at least you'll have full coverage.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I pay $460/year on a 2005 ZX-10R full coverage with Primmum. The only stipulation was a dealer installed alarm. Down here in NS it's quite reasonable.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm 29 and own 2001 TL1000R. My insurance quote this year was $6500/year from $2000/year 4 years ago. My TLR is sitting in the garage collecting dust for almost 4 years now. Those FKRS are killing me. For the record I have 1 40km/h over ticket from 4 years ago <--- than insurance jumped by thousands and never came down. I'm starting to think I'm never getting back on my bike and girl wants to go crazy for having the bike just sit in the garage.

·
Yaah I know!
1,020 Posts
I'm 29 and own 2001 TL1000R. My insurance quote this year was $6500/year from $2000/year 4 years ago. My TLR is sitting in the garage collecting dust for almost 4 years now. Those FKRS are killing me. For the record I have 1 40km/h over ticket from 4 years ago <--- than insurance jumped by thousands and never came down. I'm starting to think I'm never getting back on my bike and girl wants to go crazy for having the bike just sit in the garage.
Try like 10 years!!

It's been 18 years for me since I had a claim and I'm still paying for it!!The worst of it is I never caused the accidents it was allways someone else.

but when the insurance company pulls the record they pull it out on how much they paid you out.

No fault insurance is c*ap cause it allways comes out of your policy and then they hold it against you as a claim!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been riding just over a year now, I went with state farm for insurance, it's around $2400 a year. State farm only looks at the CC, unlike other places, if youre bike has an 'R' in the name, like our GSX-Rs, you're get hosed. I live in ontario, and I do not have full comprensive insurance, i just can't afford it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have no idea what Canada requires to ride there. Sometimes being self insure, or just plain ride illegally is the solution. Might be cheaper to pay a ticket than pay insurance.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
.... Markel bike online insurance..check em out really good!!!!!!!

Don't believe they sell insurance here in Canada. :dissapointed

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pay $40 a month in Ontario for my 05 GSX-R 600 through State Farm. Basically it's cheap through them if you have a clean record and are over 25 plus you have to have your car insured with them as well (or be insured under someone's car in your household with them). I ellected to get no collision but it would have been another $20 a month. I figure I'd rather fix it myself or write off the bike rather than have my insurance go up to $8000.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts