Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first of all, I'd like to thank you all for support with my last carb and maintenance related issue on my gsxr 750 1994 - everything worked out great and bike ran for over 1500 miles without hiccup. (good times) :smile:

Unfortunately, It fell a victim to what looks like a nasty crankshaft failure. The engine sounds like it had bag of nails in it, lost power and left smokescreen behind when the beak down happened. Long and troublesome engine disassembly confirmed that the crankshaft is simply gone... :serious:

As I'm on a relatively tight budget, I'm reaching out to you asking for an advice. What would be the best option here?
1. New second hand engine
2. New second hand crankshaft - same cost as engine if we count all gaskets and spares
3. Buying a crashed bike (bit more costly than 1 and 2 but I'm getting spares of everything) - barely possible on 22yo bike of this kind.
4. Sell everything as is and stay without a bike for God knows how long :crying:

I value your opinion. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Pics of the crank? Was it a rod bearing that spun or a main bearing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
[Update]
I've manged to take the bottom of the engine block off (garage is in total mess)... 2 out of 4 cylinders have about 3mm of "wiggle" space on the shaft... Today after nice 3 hours ride up north of England, I bought a whole engine for a good (really good) price - shoutout to the top man who sold it to me. I will try to put everything together this weekend and let you know the result. Help yourselves to the pic of the bike before the shaft blew up on me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Yesterday night, after putting the necessary parts on, it started after a bit of choking and gasping for fuel (success).

I forgot to move the sprocket and as far as I know it is healthy for the bike to keep the sprockets and chains in one set so I will do that today or tomorrow.

One thing kept bugging me though. Despite the engine running perfectly (even my mechanic said it sounds perfectly), there is a weird clapping noise coming from between the gearbox and water pump. It doesn't change with the revs and sounds like faulty bearing but louder. Is it possible that the pump's bearing was out on the second hand engine? I wanted to ask for your opinion before draining all the fluids again. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it. It's a generator bearing making a noise.

Now, only 3 out of 4 cylinders are running. Spark is there, fuel is in carb, it doesn't burn it. It might be anything. No oxygen? Carb out of sync? No idea...

I think it's time to give up but thank you all for support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts