Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. A friend has recently opened a 2009 Gsxr 1000 engine which had an apparent crank shaft bearing failure only to discover to his utter dismay that the main shaft journals had no holes drilled and therefore there was no oil supply to the bigends.!!!!! Unbelievable, but true. Computer glitch, poor quality control???? Any suggestions. I am enclosing pics/video. Please comment. Thanks.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,325 Posts
Don't want to be unfriendly but as far as I can tell, you and your friend are talking out of your asses. Suzuki significantly revised the oiling system for K9 and they're all like that. For example, feeding oil to the crankshaft from the generator cover is new and a significant part of the revision. Search for Suzuki 12000-47850. Here's one. Or is it me who's doing the deed?

·
9,325 Posts
P.S. No guarantee here but I think the the rod bearings get their oil from the generator cover supply through the crankshaft while the main bearings get oil from a gallery. It looks like your friend lost the rod bearing that was furthest from the supply. Maybe an internal passage inside the crankshaft got blocked by something. Just a wild guess.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,440 Posts
There was another thread a while back that confirmed this was an issue. I want to say Karns even weighed in on it.....

·
9,325 Posts
Page 1E-4 in the service manual has a cutaway that shows the oil passages through the crankshaft. The centrifugal force of the oil inside the rotating crankshaft increases the pressure at the holes that feed the rod bearings and is a clever way to provide a RPM dependent boost to the oil pressure to them. Assuming that the holes are at the centerline of the journal, I calculate that it adds around 52 psi at 10,000 RPM.

·
14,440 Posts
Same forces keep the oil from filling the system and thus starving the last one in line.

·
9,325 Posts
"filling the system"?
I'd expect the pressure to be going up and down along the path inside the crank depending on the distance/radius from the centerline.

·
14,440 Posts
Can you crawl back to the center of a merry-go-round when it's going fast? The centrifugal pressure squeezes all the oil out by cylinder 3, and there's no oil left go travel up to the center, then back out to 4. Especially if the oil pressure regulator is 90 psi and that centrifugal force exceeds that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts