Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode home from work and checked out my new radiator to make sure there were no leaks or problems. As i was about to go inside I noticed that my header was cracked! I started the bike up and checked for exhaust coming out of the crack and sure enough it is. After looking online it looks like my header is missing the two pieces that hold the pipes together and ebay has a bunch of used headers that would work. What should i do fellas? Buy a used stock header, buy an aftermarket header or repair my header?

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
+1 You might be able to find someone who can weld titanium but that will probably cost as much as to buy a used header. Years ago I complained about the strap because it gets oil all over it during oil filter changes. The attaching bolt & nut are welded together so they can't be removed. I ended up replacing them with a bolt & lock nut so I can get the clamp out of the way. I guess we now know that it's not there for the fun of it.

Orange county sounds like you might be nearby Yoshimura. As I understand it, they can do specialty welding. Maybe also Two Brothers but I'm just guessing there.

P.S. If you get it repaired, you'll also need to fabricate the brackets so that it doesn't happen again. Don't know why but they're more complicated than my single bracket.

P.P.S. See this. Sounds like it's close enough that you could pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What a great excuse for a full system lol. Obviously with a full system you'd need a Power Commander and tune as well. If that's not something you care to do (I'm guessing it isn't because of this post) then stock is the way to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah Billv I guess those two header pipe connectors do in fact do something. Now that I think of it the header might have been cracked when I bought the bike, I never checked. I just happened to see it when I was checking out my new radiator after a stop and go ride home when the temp hit 212, never knew motorcycles were so sensitive to ambient temperature and or being stopped in traffic/red light. Yoshimura is in Chino and I live in Tustin, regardless I don't want a repair job done. I'm going to buy a new header or slightly used one if I can't find a better aftermarket header for less than $200.
Jacob54s to answer your post my exhaust is modified as follows: Stock titanium header, SET delete, PAIR blockoff, emissions delete, catalytic converter delete to a straight pipe to a Delkevic shorty single muffler and a Power Commander 3 USB with a downloaded tune. Before I purchase a header I need to make sure the one I buy will attach to what I already have. Billv I see your ebay header link, I don't need all those other pieces plus its below my quality standards for my bike. I found a K8 1000 header that was never used for $200, or a slightly used K7 1000 header for $170. I couldn't find an aftermarket header that was around that price range, and I actually think Suzuki did a good job on the stock 1000 Titanium header.

Here are two that I might consider:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-07-08-SUZUKI-GSXR-1000-HEARDER-HEADERS-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-PIPE-1-V/254152181949?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-07-08-SUZUKI-GSXR-1000-HEARDER-HEADERS-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-PIPE-2-V/254152176707?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
Both the $200 and the $170 headers are nice, though I thought the $65 header was in as good or better condition than what you currently have (cracks excluded).

There's a $49 header that looks strange near the exit:

I don't know what would cause that on titanium unless there was something wrong with the cat causing hot exhaust gas to flow out there. That looks like something to be aware of and watch out for.

"never knew motorcycles were so sensitive to ambient temperature and or being stopped in traffic/red light"
The issue is that the fan isn't normally running, which will cause the temperature to rapidly rise at lights, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I bought a new titanium header for $200 shipped, bought a practically new Enkei front rim $200 and ordered a Michelin pilot road 3 120/70/ZR17 $143 shipped to match my rear tire. The place I'm going to have the tire mounted and balanced has a dyno so after the header install i will get a custom tune on my PC3 usb 😁

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Jubei1134
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing