Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Guess what happens if you lean off first? The handle bars turn away from the lean (counter-steer) all by themselves and the bike will begin to lean with you.

I'm tapping out...this is riding 101.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You know when you read something so stupid that you literally stare open mouthed at your screen in disbelief? Jeeeeeeeeeeez somebody put this thread out of its misery lol

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
Guess what happens if you lean off first? The handle bars turn away from the lean (counter-steer) all by themselves and the bike will begin to lean with you.

I'm tapping out...this is riding 101.
Unless you're going slow, then they turn in.... :banana

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
99% of the riders on this forum are either street or track riding. In those environments, you MUST counter-steer. On the track or fast street riding you MUST lean your body as well or you will start dragging hard parts and crash. This parking lot nonsense is just adding confusion. I could care less about how fast I can zip around cones.
This is a great point and it got me wondering "So, what exactly does a street fight look like over by you" because I'm starting to think it looks nothing like the ones by me.

Case in point:
One of the fights we have start at the Southern Sea Point in Manhattan and ends at the IHOP in Queens - involving streetlights, double parked cars, slow moving bread trucks, a wino walking against the red, murderous taxi cabs, on ramps filled with sand/broken glass, the LIE filled with potholes and usually an Audi TT that wants to race you by drafting on your tail light on the Cross Island doing 95mph. Last one to the parking lot pays for pancakes.

So in short, a friendly inner city Cafe Race, over a large 30 mile obstacle course.

So what does a street fight look like over by you guys/gals, cause I am seriously curious?

Is it a meet at the moutains (closest one by me is 3 hours away)? Is it a midnight drag race behind an abandoned warehouse? Is there a secret membership to a special location or something? A guy pulls up at a light and gives you the evil eye? I've never been challenged in the streets before (except when I had my LT1 Camaro in Orlando but that is a whole nutter forum)

·
Administrator
13,269 Posts
Sorry, I can be ADHD and a bit over analytical but really am trying to understand. Will do better next time. Thanks.:cheers
You will find my humour is a bit dark and “off” ...

Nothing wrong with asking questions , the responses you are getting are (for the most part) from experienced riders that know a thing or two.

Watching YouTube videos will only take you so far , and even then can be blatantly wrong.

Iv got to the point that I choose not to weight in on these threads as the person asking the questions has already made their mind up and won’t listen to reason.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Duly noted. Just trying to interject some topics & items that pertains to the O.P. and maybe open up some conversations on items normally not touched on.

As you and TheGeek noticed, videos were used more as a tool to reinforce a counterpoint, but I can see there are many.

Appreciate your input.

·
Administrator
13,269 Posts
The skinny is controlling a bike has fundamental basic’s.

After that it comes down to what your using the bike for and under what conditions ... THIS is what has confused most.

Counter-steering around a pothole at 50km is going to be very different to tipping a bike into a corner 140 at a track.

Your body WILL look and react differently, hence why watching a video on someone cutting laps in a carpark will not help much for steering at pace eg. track/brisk street riding.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
The skinny is controlling a bike has fundamental basic’s.

After that it comes down to what your using the bike for and under what conditions ... THIS is what has confused most.

Counter-steering around a pothole at 50km is going to be very different to tipping a bike into a corner 140 at a track.

Your body WILL look and react differently, hence why watching a video on someone cutting laps in a carpark will not help much for steering at pace eg. track/brisk street riding.
Totally understand.

That was the reason I took some time to ask what Street Fighting look like in other parts of the country as it dawned on me that we were kind of saying the same thing but from different perspectives due to differences in approaches and demographics.

Kind of makes sense now. New to the forum. Totally understand now most of the folks are more geared towards track/speed. Question was about street fighters and that was the perspective I took from what I was use to. Know better now. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
870 Posts
So whats deal with me being able to go around corners on my drz400 on one wheel?

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hi all,
A question for you street-fighter riders. I am curious as to what riding techniques you prefer for a GSXR750. Basically, do you keep the lean-off technique from the super sport position, or do you put in more counter-steer? I appreciate any input :)
Mostly just counter steering for street riding.

If I'm going to enter a corner fast I'll start by moving my backside half off the seat and opening out my leg on that side, once you hit the turn in point you counter steer and let the bike drop into the corner. This is best done under a trailing throttle or even under trail breaking.

At the apex you start to crack the throttle, opening it out more as you stand the bike up. Once you are back to vertical you can sit back normally on the bike (or not if you plan to drop into another corner on that side).

·
Registered
689 Posts
in corners that you don't have to bake for,absolutely counter-steer.

in corners that you have to brake for,if you trail-brake, your turn-in rate is much slower and depends on the radius of the corner. you don't really counter-steer ,you don't want to add lean angle lightingly fast because you wouldn't have the ability to reduce brake pressure in a linear manner.

If you're doing all your braking straight up and down,then counter-steering is all you're left with.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gunna have to disagree with you a little there. This isn't dangerous however doesn't provide any benefit other than maybe feeling more safe. Leaning forward towards the mirror changes your center of gravity and while cornering you want your center of gravity in the center on your bike. You want both front and rear suspension to share the load. I know there are Moto GP riders who do this and it works for them but if they kept their center of gravity and riding position centered they might win more:wink2:. Furthermore you want to lean OFF left or right not forward. I do want to point out "tucking: is not the same as shifting/leaning forward.
Well, leaning down and forward and kissing the mirror actually does have some really great benefits while riding. Number one: It often helps get riders in a better riding position in terms of "going with the bike" and not staying in the centre or being crossed up. When riding you want to allow your body to go with the bike and almost fall into the turn, so if you are making a right hand turn you want your upper body to lean right with the bike and having it a little lower and towards the mirror can really help.

Number two: you want front and rear suspension to share the load with approx 60% being on the rear and 40% being on the front, this is achieved with good throttle control. Rolling on the gas smoothly, evenly and constantly once the bike is turned will accomplish this and has less to do with your upper body than what you are doing with the throttle. Dropping your upper body down and forward can change the geometry and load a little bit, but less so than anything you would do with the throttle.

Number three: dropping your upper body down and forward is an excellent technique for helping the bike to "hook" into the turn and tighten up the line WITHOUT adding any extra lean angle. Say you are at max lean angle, knee down and rolling on the gas but you begin to run wide, you can then drop your upper body lower down and more forward which puts some more weight on the front tire and can help tighten the line. We have an entire lesson devoted to this technique in Level III at the California Superbike School where I'm a riding coach.

Number four: in general you would want to lean OFF the bike on the side that you are cornering as you stated but having your head positioned over the mirror (or where the mirror would be) is good body position. Combine that with "locking on" to the tank with your outside knee and having a stable lower body and you have good BP.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
16 Participants
Misti Hurst
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing