Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to start this puppy all day and nothing. It is very low on gas but. it was firing the other day. It seems that I only get a few good chugs out of my starter and then the battery is drained. Could it be the at the Starter is pulling more then it's share of juice causing premature battery drainage? I'm going up to get fuel and I'm going to jump it tomarrow. what do you guys think/

·
Super Moderator
17,285 Posts
Battery....Check the water levels.
Coils could be ur culprit too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Double check that there is gas getting to the carbs.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
If you are going to use a car Battery DO NOT JUMP START IT! Disconnect the battery and connect the cay battery to the leads with the jumper cables. If you jump start your 300 cranking amp battery with the 600+ CCA car battery the barrty fries inside and will not hold a good charge after that. I use a gel cell battery that is for water craft and has 625 CCA and is the same size as my 88's stock battery.
Bones

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Bones_GSXR What battery due you use on your 88? I want to put a gel cell battery on my 90. If you could please give me some info on this battery

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
If you are going to use a car Battery DO NOT JUMP START IT! Disconnect the battery and connect the cay battery to the leads with the jumper cables. If you jump start your 300 cranking amp battery with the 600+ CCA car battery the barrty fries inside and will not hold a good charge after that. I use a gel cell battery that is for water craft and has 625 CCA and is the same size as my 88's stock battery.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this is not true. a car battery will not damage anything if you jump it off the bike battery, unless one of the batteries itself has internal damage in it (like a short). obviously, you must make sure both batteries are 12 volt batteries....

cold cranking amps is simply a rating to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. specifically, the rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0°f for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts (for a 12 volt battery). the higher the cca rating, the greater the starting power of the battery. that's it.

jumping a 300 cca battery with a 625 cca battery does NOT mean that the 625 cca battery will 'push' 625 amps through to the other battery and fry it, or anything of that sort.

if a 625 cca battery could damage the other battery in this way, it would also mean that it could damage the bike's electrical system in the same way (if you connect the car battery directly to it), and we know that this does not happen.

so, under normal circumstances, jumping from a car battery is harmless.

in this specific case, though, since the condition of chango's battery is a question mark, it is safer to connect the bike's wiring harness directly to the car battery, bypassing the bike battery completely.

[ 05-03-2002, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just don't jump start a bike with a car that has its engine running. The cars alternater is too rapid of a charge for the bikes battery.

-Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is low on fuel so I will fill her up tomarrow and give it a shot. Finger crossed and everything. Man I hope it is something that simple. If so I will drink a beer for every one who posted here. If not well I will drink a half of a near beer for everyone here to keep my head clear while I figure this thing out. thanks fellas!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
I use a gel cell battery that is for water craft and has 625 CCA and is the same size as my 88's stock battery.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Any word on this battery?? What is the application??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts