Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have always been told that the only dumb question is a question not asked. So Here goes. Is there a way to use a electric drill to polish the frame? If so what grid of sand paper to start with? and what all do I need to get the polished look? forgive me if it is a stupid question! I just don't know these things.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
You'll want a drill that has high RPM's. Then you'll want a round polishing wheel that you can chuck into it. I've known some people to use rubbing compound to polish metal but a stick-form compound is less messy and can be applied to the wheel. Dremmel makes a tiny version of a polishing wheel that can get into those hard to reach yet visible spots. If you do it, be prepared to get everything messy.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ask Mr Gixxer, he's just done it ........................good luck

Andy

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
ok still may sound dumb but my 86 frame is pretty smooth, whats the sand paper for? if its for the clearcoat how about just using some stripper, or easy off. then compound to polish?????

·
Registered
434 Posts
the frame will not polish untill you get the clear anodizing off if there are any spots left that its still on it wont polish. The easy way is to have the frame powder blasted to remove the clearcoat. I tried the easyoff route on my swing arm didnt work worth crap. Tried it 3 times finally had to use flexable sanding wheels to get the anodizing off after that a buffing wheel that runs at 3400 rpm and away you go the rest is fairly easy, the problem with the drill is most drills are too slow. Also 10,000 rpm is too high so lets out die grinders.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
As I have said before the easy off works with heat if you use it cold it will not work. warm the frame with a heat gun. Also I don't know where you guys are comming from with this "Drill turn to slow" I have Three Professional Buffers for Polishing frames and wheels and they turn at 3600 rpm. If you turn the wheels faster the shine will have a haze/dull finish.
Bones

1 - 6 of 6 Posts