Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow Ive always checked the oil level on a GSX-R750 cold with the bike held in a true vertical position - WRONG:hammer

The correct way, the manual actually says:
Place the bike on level ground.
Start the engine and let it idle for 2 - 3 minutes.
Shut off the engine and let the oil settle for 1 - 2 minutes.
Hold the bike in the true vertical position (a false reading will be given if the bike is tipped to either side)
Look at the oil level inspection window - the oil level should be between the two lines F (full) and L (low)

Sorry this is a basic check but I bet heaps of people are doing this wrong, because in most cars you check your engine oil level when cold.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I've always checked bike oil when hot. Basically the way the manual says to. I've never checked to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Between checking level full when cold and checking level full when hot, I added about 250ml to top it up.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,147 Posts
Do you mean that the level was lower when hot? If so, how long did you wait for the oil to drain after engine stop? 1-2 minutes like the manual says?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The oil expands a bit when properly hot. 2-3 mins running will not achieve this. I always bring bike off stand past vertical, then back to vertical, this makes a difference.

When cold, the oil should be close to the lower line.

When hot, the oil should be close to the upper line.

If measuring when hot, make sure you wait for a few mins after turning off, to allow the oil to drain down.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,147 Posts
That's strange. I suppose you didn't wait long enough for most of the oil to drain as, as said, it should expand when hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts