Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would you guys say this thing handles in the turns and are there any helpful hints for me......i know its completly diff. from the 600 as far as not being able to give it any throttle i guess but what RPMS are u guys at in the turn??? let me know what u think........iv had people tell me that 600 have beat them in turns on the previous 1000's...how does this one compare?

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
a good rider on a 1000 will beat a good rider on a 600 in most situations. corner speed would be about the same but the 1k would accelerate harder.

helpful hints to cornering would be to get yourself set up with a trackday and practice there. or take a racing school. this will teach you more in one day than you could teach yourself in years of street riding. but just some tips would be enter at low rpms since its much safer on corner exit, and keeps the bike more nuetral. lean your entire body off the bike, and lead into the turn with your inside shoulder and head. dont keep your upper body centered on the bike while you ass is hanging off trying to drag a knee.. do not focus on trying to touch a knee down. try to be smooth, and slowly get faster and faster and the knee dragging will happen.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Never ridden a 600 but I have owned a K4 & a K5 Thou.
The difference between the cornering ability of the two bikes is as stark as night & day.
I commute on the bike as well as weekend twisties.
Whilst commuting to work there are 3 corners that I`d always run a bit wide on the K4.
There are marks on the road that I would always try to stay inside of on the K4.
This morning on the K5 I was at least 3 feet inside of them marks.
A simply amazing bike to ride.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Never ridden a 600 but I have owned a K4 & a K5 Thou.
The difference between the cornering ability of the two bikes is as stark as night & day.
I commute on the bike as well as weekend twisties.
Whilst commuting to work there are 3 corners that I`d always run a bit wide on the K4.
There are marks on the road that I would always try to stay inside of on the K4.
This morning on the K5 I was at least 3 feet inside of them marks.
A simply amazing bike to ride.
the k5 is for sure a better machine, but handling of a bike can be greatly changed with minimal effort.. the stock setup may in fact make it easier to turn out of the box, but that doesnt mean you cant get an 03/04 to handle well..

·
Registered
493 Posts
i tend to agree with with the above post
the k5 is slightly lighter and on paper is the better bike

but chassis wise they arent a million miles apart and would expect to get a k4 to handle equally aswell as a k5 with minimal work done

to say the k5 is an outright better bike is probably true but as yet i havent seen a subjective back to back review to verify this but i dont think it is as day and night as mentioned above after a 30 mile test ride (power delivery samish as my slightly modded k3 - didnt seem faster or more torquey - turned nice but very similar to my k3 too - loverly bike but need more miles and better weather)

as far as power goes the k5 doesnt seem to make as much as the hype so again a k4 can easily surpass k5 power with minimal work too

ooohhhhhhhh i am bladdering on - what was the thread about again..........

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a K3 and have put a pipe and k&n air filter, but haven't added a PC yet. I have also gone to a 180 rear tire, longer shock lilnkage by 1 inch and have lowered my forks about 1.5 inches and it turns much quicker than stock. But what I want to know is how does it compare to a K5/6? Does my bike turn as well as the K5/6 or will they still turn better?? Any help would be apprechiated..I'm trying to figure out if it is worth trading up.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
474 Posts
The K5/6 will turn better. In two words--it is more nimble and more lithe. I know both bikes well. 14000 mi on an '03 and 3000 mi. on a highly modified K4. Not road miles. Just turns. Get the K5/6 up above 10,000rpm's and you will see the additional power. I still love the older ones, and if I could still have them both in my stable I would, but the K5/6 is a better bike.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
An average rider can go faster through the turns on a 600. As one gets more experience and control a 1000 become's less intimidating. Although a 600 and 1000 may weigh the same the bigger engine tends to make the 1000's require more effort and are somewhat slower to start a turn than a 600's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had both on track, the K5 is far superior in every respect, however the K3 is a better wheelie bike, just seems more stable when sat on the rear wheel

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think the K5 is just a confidence inspiring bike, I am not sure how fast I am going on it but it seems like I have gain a significant amount of cornering speed vs when I was on my Busa and I could rail that Busa pretty well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There was an article in Sport Rider or Motorcyclist that compared Tommy Hayden's Supersport bike with Aaron Yates' Superstock Gixxer.

The Supersport bike had higher corner entry speed than the Superstock bike. So, I'd say a comparable rider on a 600 and 1000, the corner entry would be higher on the 6 and the exit speed/straight speed would be considerably higher on the 1000.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
No way, I can stuff my k5 in a turn a hell of a lot tighter than my k4 750. The K5 just works better for me.
Well, I'm just going by the comparison they had corner by corner with MPH for both bikes.

I guess there are way too many variables for this kind of question.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a 2003 R6 up until august of this year. I bought it brand new on march of 03 and put 25000 miles on it. I was very comfortable with that bike and I rode her hard. When I got my k5 I was scared shitless at first, but I got used to it quick. It DEF handles much better than my 6 and I think is just an ALL AROUND better bike than my 6 also. Its so smooth and fast through turns its unbelievible. I agre with the "onc you overcome the fear of it being a 1000." It is intimidating at first.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just had my suspesion redone by GP Suspension so I ought to be able to corner now. I have been really frustrated up until now. Bike wants to turn but my fat A** really upset stock suspension

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
fwiw. ask anyone who has riden ama superstock or superbike, everyone ride point and shoot syle.

two of the guys that race my 05 gix 1K own R^'s and they say my gix out turns and out handles there R6's, and both of them are experianced racers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts