Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an expert rider and I know skill-wise it's an endless process of improving and learning. That being said, I just realized something last night while looking through a mag. In all of the pics, the riders hands are notably outside or of greater with than the shoulders. I even looked at pics of a lot of you guys and the same thing. My problem is, I have extremely broad shoulders. Even in my best shape, I have to where a 2X and still the seam doesn't quite sit right. This creates a stance where my arms, if held straight, angle significantly inward and my hands are in between my shoulders on the bars instead of even or outside the point of your shoulder. With arms bent, like when I ride, I've always noticed a lack of leverage and my wrists are somewhat strained at the angle. Two my friends who ride very well, who are not small guys, don't have that problem because their shoulders aren't as broad as mine.

I noticed riding my friends streetfighter which has a wider bar, that the feel and leverage is completely different and feels much more secure and locked in turning into a corner and I thought how much better that stance would feel on my bike

I had this same problem on my road bike and tri-bike and had custom handlebars made so that my hands were on the outside of my shoulder points. I noticed an imediate improvement in breathing since my chest was not "opened" up and just felt more sturdy on the bikcycle.

I'm wondering if the same would be had on the Gix... if I should consider finding a long clip-on to widen my stance to where it rests with just about everyone elses.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It will definately help. Do you already grip the bars at the outer edge? I'm a small guy, but I still grip them so that the outside of my palm is flush with the end of the bar end. Look at race pics too. Notice there's no bar sticking out from their hand.

I see lots of guys place their thumbs against the inside edge of their grips, and I started riding that way too. Once I tried moving my hands to the outside, I quickly realized how much easier it was to steer, and even brake. That's why I have no problem braking hard with one finger, because I pull the lever from the very end. If you already do this, then I say go for new bars.

Riding fast has a lot to do with maximizing leverage on your inputs. But what's ironic is that race replicas have narrow bars for improved aerodynamics. Who cares about making your bike slightly less aerodynamic? It really isn't going to make much of a noticeable difference to you, if any. So hold your bars properly if you don't already do that, and if you still need more, then find some longer clip-ons, or try adjusting the angle of yours a bit. Being in a comfortable position that gives more leverage will make for a more enjoyable ride and allow you to be faster too.
:cheers

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
Why don't you just move the clip-ons out further??? If you have the stock clip-ons either remove the bolt that holds them to the triple clamp or cut off the tab that keeps them in position. Then just move them out a bit and take it from there.

nj

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try that, but I don't want to necessarily have my position moved further forward, nor do I think it's going to make enough difference. I think I literally need about an extra inch or so on each clipon.

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
itschris said:
I'll try that, but I don't want to necessarily have my position moved further forward, nor do I think it's going to make enough difference. I think I literally need about an extra inch or so on each clipon.
Trust me....moving the clip-ons out is like adding an inch in length to the clip-ons.

We had a big issue with that during our 6hr race over the summer. The bike we were riding had the clip-ons out much further than what I was used to. It felt like I was riding my dirtbike and I could not get comfortable on the bike (another one of the riders had the same problem). So we moved them back a tad and it mad a WORLD of difference.

Give it a try.

Reactions: itschris

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have the same problem, 6'3" and wider than the bike- this is how I addressed it. first, I bend my elbows a lot and bring them up (like spies or any motocrosser), bend more and the waist and hold myself with my core and legs, trying to put zero body weight on the bars. second, and at least as important if not more, I concentrate on pulling as much as pushing to steer. this is especially helpful for me when riding fast and turning in fast. I get my body off inside of the bike and use my trunk weight to pull the bike down. ie: if going right, I am pulling the left clip on with more authority than I am pushing the right.

I hope this helps, it works pretty good for me but I am no expert either. I to have considered the longer clip on mod and am still thinking about it. if you do it, post up what you think, I am very interested. I am going to bump my clipons out and see how that feels.

yeah, I wish I could shrink myself down when I ride. or surf.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just adjusted my clipons on out and gained approx an 3/4 inch on each side. I was able to lift them up a bit on the fork tubes about a half inch which helped compensate for the further forward lean. I didn't have a chance to take it out and press but I did take a quick cruise and tried to lean into a few turns here and there. I can definately notice a difference. I just feel more planted on the bike and don't feel like my hands are the pivot point... where it seemed like my upper body could easily sway from left to right. The change was only minimal, but it did make a big deal. I'd like to have it a bit wider, but moving them any more forward would damn have them perpendicular to the bike which would look pretty silly. I still may consider new clipons, but for now, I'm gonna mess with my current setup and see if I can dial it in.

Big thanks to NJ RACER! Rep your way.

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
Is it just me or are "race" clip ons much longer than stock? I have considered getting some so it'll be easier to steer at high speed, but maybe its because of the way I have my hands positioned. Guess Im gonna have to wait until next season to test out different positions :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.