Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after about half an hour of riding. THis is only the second season I've owned it so its hard for me to know if this is normal for the bike or not. But about an hour into it she is getting really hot and seems to run a little worse on the lower end of the R's. The bike has no temp goauge and not even a warning light. so my question is how do I know if I'm cooking my motor?? My next question is how do I tell if my bike is the oil cooled or water cooled. From all the PICS I've seen it looks oil cooled but I thoght in 92 they started the water cooling. Thanks for the help?

·
Registered
553 Posts
A water cooled bike will have a radiator situated right in front of the exhaust pipes, between the engine and the front wheel. You can't miss it, as it measure roughly 12 inches square and an inch or so thick. Also, water colled bikes do have a temp guage situated in the console cluster.

Hope this helps....Dave.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,
THanks for the info on the temp gauge. I do have what appears to be a curved radiator in front of the bike but couldn't that also be the oil cooler??? Thanks again

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The curved rad is an oil cooler unless your bike came from Canada, in the rest of the world got water pumpers in 92 we got them here in 93
-Karl

·
Registered
316 Posts
The oilcooler cools the motor oil so every time you do a standard oil change you are replacing that oil.

Your best bet would be to stop by the suzuki dealer and order a factory service manual (about $50), it will help you understand your bikes mechanical workings. But don't hesitate to ask questions here, thats why were here.

Welcome to the oilcooled forum

-Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KARL THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE CLARIFICATION ON THE CURVED OIL COOLER. How often do you need to change the oil in the cooler and how involved is it??? So with no temp gauge how do I know if my bike is running to hot???? Sometimes after about an hour I can feel it hesitating on the low end of the rpms especially with a passenger. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts