Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my junk seems to run kinda hot, and i would like to get a little better cooling. i bought a very small electric fan but it didn't fit too well. i've thought about adding a secondary cooler, but aint sure where a good place to put it would be. has anyone done anything like that? any cool tricks yall have done let me know about please.

·
Registered
163 Posts
do you have an oil temp gauge telling you its to hot? or are you jsut guessing by the feel/smell?

·
Registered
195 Posts
A friend of mine has placed a second cooler in front of the oil/water cooler. This was on a Mazda car. He also mounted a switch to put it on/off whenever needed ( not to wear out the battery ).
It worked quite well.
I read in the Gix1000 forum that covering the muffler with a special heat resistant material takes away a lot of heat off the engine.

Sorry, no more ideas. I think some of our experts here will be able to help you.

Greetz!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
too hot in the UK , i doubt it ever.

i've got a 1200 bandit cooler on mine and it's just fine................

I have certainly heard of head coolers fitted to and mounting then in the headstock area....

Andy

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
BEHOLD! THE KING OF TOO MANY COOLERS!! well, maybe not the king.

Back "in the day" (1987) when I lived in San Antonio I had an '86 VFR700. It was water cooled and would run hot in stop-n-go traffic all the time. There were a couple of buddies with 750 & 1100 gixxers and they were running VERY hot (they had temp gauges fitted)

The advice above regarding getting a temp gauge is the first thing you should consider. Daytona makes a oil temp gauge that you can get from any Lockhart-Phillips or Parts Unlimited dealer...like Ron Ayers Motorsports here on the site (go to the Sponsors link) It is reasonably priced and works well.

Then you can work on three forms of cooler capacity increases.

...a curved main cooler from a '92 750 has more surface area and doesn't require much modifying other than the bracket that holds it on.

...a second cooler in series from an 1100 or current 1000 mounted under the main cooler just infront of the header pipes.

...a top end cooler that supplies cooler oil to the cams & valves. It can be mounted in front of the motor or under the seat.

Coolers & lines can be found at Earl's here in the US or at HEL in the UK or at the best place to look, Earl's UK .

Or, you can do what I did, find coolers on Ebay, win the bidding, get your torch out and make your own.

I put a second in series and a top end cooler under the seat.

Finding out what temp range is the best thing you can do first. I added my coolers to protect my investment. A motor CAN run too cool if you're not careful.

·
Registered
163 Posts
another thing you can do is wrap your 4 exhaust runners in header wrap, it will seal the heat in so it doesnt rise onto your cooler as much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The gauges on my 88 750 arent stock, i don't know what bike they are off of but anyways its got a temp gauge on it, how hard would it be to hook this up to my bike? What would it involve?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts