Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve done another search for this one and can’t seem to find the answer.
This one pertains to coolant and air in the lines.

K7 600 series...

I know we have to bleed the coolant lines, just like we do brake lines. I know air in the system can lead to improper cooling and hot spots.
But here is what I’ve been experiencing and hopefully someone can shed some light here.

Orlando, Fl temps currently between 89-100 degrees outside with high humidity. (Just some weather back ground)

Bike temps through the day 176 while riding - 220-230 in stopped traffic (fan kicks on no light thank the gods)
Temps drop back down during ride which is all good

Bike temps through the night usually around 176 and hardly ever see 220 as I am riding home late a night and barely any traffic. But does hit it once I get off the highways and stop at the complex gate and then in my driveway since can’t drive back here faster than 15mph.

Now on to what I’ve been seeing and my question about air and coolant...

I’ve been noticing this (only at night for some reason) when I get home the bike is nice and warm/hot. I park and let her sit in the driveway to cool off before putting in the shed for the night. On some nights the temp reads 215 once I’m home and some coolant drains out onto the driveway. Other nights the temp is 215 or higher and doesn’t drain out.
I haven’t noticed this when parking the bike at work though, which is weird to me as it’s hotter out then and has run hotter.

So will air in the cooling system also cause the system to expel some coolant out the reservoir?

Sorry so long, but thought I should give the full background of temps, days/nights and what I’m seeing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I forgot to add.. I’m using Engine ICE in my system as well, may drain and go back to full 50/50 Prestone coolant.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,563 Posts
Any air in the system will work its way out after several heating & cooling cycles. I wonder if you might have a leak somewhere and it's siphoning out while it sits. I'd start paying attention to the reservoir level. Check it every time you stop or start a ride. You might have a bad radiator cap or it isn't properly sealing on the radiator. A good tester like the one in the service manuals is very expensive ($200-$300) but a radiator shop ought to have one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Orlando, Fl temps currently between 89-100 degrees outside with high humidity. (Just some weather back ground)

Bike temps through the day 176 while riding - 220-230 in stopped traffic (fan kicks on no light thank the gods)
Temps drop back down during ride which is all good

Bike temps through the night usually around 176 and hardly ever see 220 as I am riding home late a night and barely any traffic. But does hit it once I get off the highways and stop at the complex gate and then in my driveway since can’t drive back here faster than 15mph.
I'm in TN with similar ambient temps and my bike's temps are exactly how you describe.

I think your getting heat-soak and your coolant is overfilled or a bad radiator cap?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any air in the system will work its way out after several heating & cooling cycles. I wonder if you might have a leak somewhere and it's siphoning out while it sits. I'd start paying attention to the reservoir level. Check it every time you stop or start a ride. You might have a bad radiator cap or it isn't properly sealing on the radiator. A good tester like the one in the service manuals is very expensive ($200-$300) but a radiator shop ought to have one.
The coolant level in the res is currently at low but that’s because I didn’t fill it up yet, (haven’t been riding in two days since it’s my weekend and run through the bikes quirks time) running out of Engine ICE. Lol. It’s only losing maybe 4oz if not about 6oz every now and then. It’s not an every night thing. I have replaced the radiator cap, I forgot to mention that in the initial post. But I replaced that first especially after seeing it’s seals were cracked and shot. But it’s still doing it. One thing I didn’t think to check and I’ll check that next, is the over flow tube itself that drains from the radiator to the res tank. Because where I’m seeing the fluid run down is up high and is not inline with the actual exit over flow tube, I didn’t even think of that until now.

I'm in TN with similar ambient temps and my bike's temps are exactly how you describe.

I think your getting heat-soak and your coolant is overfilled or a bad radiator cap?
J, see above, I just added your quote and answered above in Bill’s quoting since it addressed the radiator cap as well. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I’m going to pull that one line for sure and check it out. I’ll be soon replacing all lines anyhow in a couple of paydays with a full system flush at the same time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update... Checked all of the lines visibly and didn’t see any issues with them. Checked my new radiator cap and it appears to be good.

Bill, I will be taking the bike up to a shop for a pressure test next weekend (gotta way for $) the shops around here are $175/hr :( or so. And a few that I called for a pressure test stated it would be $350, I’m still going to shop around because that’s just a bit absurd considering I could ride 2hrs away and save about 90$.

I will be doing a test ride here shortly but it’s a small one. Just enough to go get fuel and drop an amazon return off. But tomorrow morning I go into work, that’ll be the real test especially on the return trip home.
Like I said it seems to only happen on the return trip home which is what baffles me, why not during the ride to work once I get there? I go to work, work a 10+ hr shift, ride home approx. 30miles and then this issue crops up. Not every day but at least once or twice a work week (4 day work week)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
jbaker
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing