Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was flushing my cooling system. I had the distilled water and water wetter mix and when I flushed it some chunks of film came out and the water was off colored with what It looked like some type of deposit. So I got that out and filled it up with Preston's 50/50. I think I should flush it again with more coolant since I think there might be more of that nasty water there. I ran the bike and waited until the thermostat opened. What you guys think? I just want the peace of mind. Plus I'm moving to Colorado here soon so I want to go ahead and change all my fluids before I leave hawaii. Thank you

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,718 Posts
It would be best if you flushed the bejesus out of it before changing coolant chemistries as some are incompatible and can lead to enhanced corrosion. You could start by draining the system, disconnecting the hoses, and thoroughly flushing it with a garden hose. Then drain that and fill with distilled water. Run for several minutes to circulate it through the system. Then drain again and fill with the new coolant plus distilled water if not prediluted.

Why did you have water + water wetter? Was this a race bike? There's very little reason for it on the street. It can freeze up, even when trailered, and wreck things.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
If you want to flush it dump everything all out and fill it up with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar. Fill it up and bleed the system. Let it come up to full operating temp so the thermostat opens and then you can shut it off and let it sit for about 2 hours or so.

The vinegar will help dissolve any minerals that may have accumulated, and its bio-degradable unlike the nasty chemical based flushes you can buy. After its sat for a bit dump out the vinegar mix and run through a couple flushes of clean water until all the vinegar is rinsed out. Then top it off with whatever coolant product you are going to use.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,718 Posts
^I took a look at Prestone Radiator Flush + Cleaner. Its MSDS indicates that it's nothing more than sodium citrate, a fairly common food additive, and water. So I wouldn't be worried about its toxicity to you or the environment. If anything, I'd be concerned about its lack of nastiness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts