Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i'm totally new to this site so hopefully i will receive some answers to my question(s). so first here is what i did.

1. changed spark plugs removed NGK plugs and replaced with NGK Extreme Iridium plugs
2. cleaned an reoiled my K&N Air filter
3. changed the oil and filter. Filter was replaced with same HF138 that was on bike, oil was replaced with 10w-40 Amsoil ATV-UTV full synthetic (not sure what was in there before)

Bike starts like super fast, idles ok, does not seem to be misfiring or anything. But the red indicator light just to the left of where the engine temperature is displayed is on solid. No F1 error, temp is displayed as per normal and climbs steady when bike is started.

Some online help indicates this is when oil pressure is low, or if there is a problem with the fuel injection system. Oil is full to the appropriate level and it starts super fast.

Note. it is winter here in Canada, and i cannot take it for a ride to really get the oil pressurized or hot, i can only start it for a few minutes in the garage, did this 2 times each time taking the temp to 50 deg C and light is still on solid.

Any thoughts??

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,536 Posts
Along with that light, do you see an oil can? If so, it's low oil pressure.

Two things that happen. #1 is common and I'm not sure how long you let the bike run. When you change the oil and filter, the filter is dry and the galleries are empty. Sometimes you have to let it run for a few seconds before it fills the filter and galleries and actually builds pressure. Sometimes just opening the throttle and getting it up to 3500 rpm will get oil flowing. Your engine will be fine with the thin coat of oil, no real load, and very short duration.

#2 is rare, but you wouldn't be the first. There have been others that explained the same symptoms. Something in the oil filter was preventing flow. Whether it's the anti-drainback valve stuck or just too restrictive in general, but it prevented the oil pump from overcoming it. Those folks changed filters and all was good.

FYI, the Suzuki OEM oil filter is about the best oil filter money can buy. You should stick with it and avoid aftermarket filters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that....

i do see an oil can on the display above the light so i guess it is low pressure.
I poured oil into the filter before installing it so it would already be wet and not cause any pressure issues
The filter i put on was the exact same as the one i removed so i cant see that being an issue, it was HIFLO Filtro HF138
Question.... IF the filter was preventing flow, would it make high oil pressure?? From what i read in the manual and online this light comes on for LOW pressure.

maybe it does need to be put through some paces on the road before pressure comes up.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,536 Posts
I wouldn't put the engine under load until it was resolved. One school of thought is that since you put oil on the filter media, it's preventing the air in the system between the pump and filter from pushing through the filter media. That air bubble doesn't have pressure, but is enough that it prevents the oil pump from actually moving oil up the system. It's an old school approach to fill the filter before installing. Doesn't need to be done.

Did you try just reving the engine up to 3500 or so for a few seconds?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that....

i do see an oil can on the display above the light so i guess it is low pressure.
I poured oil into the filter before installing it so it would already be wet and not cause any pressure issues
The filter i put on was the exact same as the one i removed so i cant see that being an issue, it was HIFLO Filtro HF138
Question.... IF the filter was preventing flow, would it make high oil pressure?? From what i read in the manual and online this li

maybe it does need to be put through some paces on the road before pressure comes up.
I wouldn't put the engine under load until it was resolved. One school of thought is that since you put oil on the filter media, it's preventing the air in the system between the pump and filter from pushing through the filter media. That air bubble doesn't have pressure, but is enough that it prevents the oil pump from actually moving oil up the system. It's an old school approach to fill the filter before installing. Doesn't need to be done.

No i didnt rev the engine that high since the light was on i was kinda nervous about revving it up. yea i poured some oil in to the filter after seeing in in youtube videos.

so if revving it up doesnt resolve it, then whats the answer? just drain the oil, remove the filter and just reinstall it?? maybe remove the "vapor lock"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK....

started it up, let it come up to temp (104 deg C) or around 224 deg F, fan kicked on and temp started to come down, so i'm thinking if oil isn't circulating, there is no way a small fan could bring the temp down, the engine would and should be continuing to go UP in temperature.... im not a mechanic so please excuse my ignorance at engine funadmentals.

i did rev it up to around 3000 and kept it there for maybe 10-15 second at a time, light is still on.

Oil change is pretty basic and not much chance to crew it up...

ANY chance it has to to with these Extreme Iridium spark plugs??? maybe messing with the signals the EFI is getting?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Losen up the oil filter until it starts dripping, then start the engine. If their is air trapped and preventing the oil pump from priming that will allow it to escape. It might make a little mess as the air goes out spraying some oil.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are you sure you didn't accidentally disconnect the oil pressure sensor? If the cable is lose and grounded somewhere in the engine the light will remain on. That LED only turns on when there is no oil pressure or the temperature is too high; the temperature is fine and you can see it going up on the dash, so that means it's related to oil pressure or the sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK traced it from behind the throttle bodies to under the bike near the low point of the water pump, kinda under and behind the rad hose... all is as it was, connected and fine. Behind the throttle bodies it goes into a myriad of wires, kind of a harness over to the right side of the bike..... all other connectors and plugs seem to be intact and plugged in.

i suppose inadvertently something could have become disturbed as i was wiping stuff down with a lightly damp cloth just to remove dust/dirt.

it is near the oil filter, maybe oil's not getting there due to some of the other suggestions??

gonna drain the oil and drain the filter and check it out tomorrow and see whats what.

also disconnected the battery now just to see if maybe by some small chance, the system or fault will reset.

will keep people posted once resolved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Everyone......

so as mentioned above, i ran the bike for a bit, took it up to temp and let the fan come on. traced the pressure sensor, opened the oil filler cap once i turned it off.....

was going to go buy a new filter today and jjst do the oil change again..... Girlfriend suggested to just disconnect the battery and let it sit, maybe it just needs a reset........... did that, let it sit and totally cool over night.

got up, started it, damn light is off, oil can symbol is gone.. everything is working great.

so for anyone reading the thread, cant give you a solid 100% reason why this happened.... but it did. only thing i can say is maybe dont prefill the oil filter. I filled it about 3/4 full through the big hole in the center.

some posts say to fill it through the small holes, let it wick through... some say dont do it at all.... so its confusing at best.

Thanks to all who tried to help and offered advice and suggestions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts