Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I brought my first bike, 2013 GSX R 1000. Unfortunately I am not very educated on how bikes work and in the process of learning, thus need you help.

I see the below issues

1. When i turn the key ON, before starting the engine I see
a. CHEC
b. Red circular light

Once i turn ON the engine these disappear, is that Normal?

2. I noticed the coolant light (the thermometer with waves) while the engine was ON and driven for a 100 miles with it. On checking the Coolant level it was at the bottom part of the reservoir (Inverted APEX level) but not dried up. Would that have harmed in any way? The Temp has been around 185 F all this while.

3. Once topped up the coolant the the coolant indicator still remains.

Kindly share you thoughts on the above three issues.

Appreciate a lot.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,556 Posts
The red LED is a general fault indicator. When the engine isn't running it will come on because the oil pressure is low. CHEC means that the cluster isn't receiving data from the ECM. This normally happens because the engine stop switch is off and there's no power to the ECM.

The coolant temperature indicator will briefly come on when the bike is started and going through it's test sequence. However if it comes on after that it means that the engine temperature is above 120°C. Per the K8 owner's manual:

CAUTION
Running the engine with high engine coolant temperature can cause serious engine damage. If the engine coolant temperature indicates greater than 120°C (248°F) and indicator light comes on, stop the engine to let it cool. Do not run the engine until the coolant temperature indicates 120°C (248°F) or below.

The L3 manual probably reads about the same. I don't know why your indicator is still on but topping up the reservoir isn't enough. You need to also remove the cap and top up there. But beyond that, there's a procedure involving rocking the bike from side-to-side to get air out of the head. See the service manual.

You might have damaged something. The coolant system is fairly tight. You might have a leak somewhere. It needs to be carefully watched.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great explanation to the Redlight and CHEC indicators. Thank you!

Though the Coolant indicator came up and I drove for a 100 miles, the temperature was around 190 F most of the time just reached 210 F once, thats when I stopped and topped it up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great explanation to the Redlight and CHEC indicators. Thank you!

Though the Coolant indicator came up and I drove for a 100 miles, the temperature was around 190 F most of the time just reached 210 F once, thats when I stopped and topped it up.
210F is not uncommon to reach in stopped traffic, these bikes run hot. I see mine reach upwards of 225 to 235 F in stopped traffic here in Florida. But yes, you should check for coolant leaks, in and around all hoses as well as any small holes or cracks in the reservoir bottle that may lead to a leak as well, or allow for pressurized coolant to spray out of as well as introduce air into the system. Both of which you do not want to have happen.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,556 Posts
50/50 antifreeze doesn't boil until abut 225°F so the pressure in the system is normally just due to hydraulic expansion against the radiator cap. The system only holds slightly less than 3 quarts, including the reservoir. So any leaks can rapidly create problems.

You need to track down the service and the owner's manuals for the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing