Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i bought a GSX-R 600 2007 (K7) off a guy about 3-ish months ago.

And all ive been doing for the past month is fixing the fecking thing.

Has multiple problems:

1. Error code 28 + 29 IIRC, STVA & STVE issue --> Fixed it by deleting secondry butterflies

2. Stator burnt --> Fixed it by replacing with new stator (intruduced a whining noise on bike startup + whistle noise when deaccelerating/low rps)

3. Stator oil leak --> Fixed by gasket maker

NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM

When i first took apart the bike to fix the STVA issue i had noticed there no ZERO coolant in the coolant reservoir.
Today i did my first coolant flush and upon opening the rad cap i saw no coolant in the RAD. so i proceeded to flush what was in the rad anyways.

After replacing teh coolant with new one. Where the bolt inserts into the rad that hold the reservoir erect, coolant is leaking from there.

How do i fix this. Is it supposed to leak like that?

only reason i found this now is because beefore there was no coolant when i bought the bike. no coolant == no leak!

on discord i got some help on this. People are saying to use telfon tape to stop the leak, i have gasket maker was thinking of using that too (helped with the oil leak).

what should i do, please help boiiiis!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Light

Hand Finger Thumb Wood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Finger Thumb Wood Gas

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,826 Posts
That's some sort of blind rivet nut like this:

You ought to be able to see the inside end by looking down the radiator cap opening. IMO the most likely place for a leak is the area where it crimps onto the side tank. The fix for that is some deft welding by someone who knows what they're doing. If it's coming out the threaded interior, unlikely but possible, the nut might have been overtightened or cracked from corrosion. It might be possible to seal it with a Stat-O-Seal. Alternately some LocTite or gasket maker might do the job. A brute force method is to remove the nut and crimp/weld another in its place. That won't be easy.

I've seen stator cover gaskets that include a bead of sealant. They look like they ought to be superior to the Suzuki gasket.

P.S. I use the term "blind" to mean that the rivet nut is closed on one end such that a screw won't pass through it and it will seal/block fluids from flowing through it, even when there isn't a screw in it. In looking around on the web, the term is used in a different way, i.e. that it can be entirely installed from one side. With regard to the way that I use it, the rivet nut in the above drawing is not blind and a screw will thread through it. The correct term is a closed end blind rivet nut. There's one here but I can't insert the image into the thread. They are much less commonly available in aluminum.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
if the reservoir is leaking its not cuz of any nut whatnot, its cuz its cracked or developed a hole, get a new one or try to repair, someone may have gone down on that side and stressed the coolant res and it developed the leak, not too spendy.. sucks buying and repairing bikes others have thrashed and abused..

only one place coolant should escape from res and that's the overflow hose, don't use any gasket sealant to repair it may get in engine and clog a vital port, these aren't that expensive, go new or good used be done with it, 1 less headache down the road

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found the real culprit, just beside the rivet nut or where the bolt goes in theres a crack. Gonna have to braze it with alu rods

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,826 Posts
Too bad oldgixxer isn't around any more as he knew welding. I'd think tig would be the way to go but will defer to people who know how to weld.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts