Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put coolant in the reservoir yesterday because it was at the low line.......went riding today now its may past the full line......is this bad or harmful to the bike? 2009 gsxr 1000

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
No, but some coolant can come out of the overflow hose if it the reservoir fills completely. There should be 2 marks on the bottle, cold and hot.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The cooling system pressurizes as it gets hot, which makes the coolant level rise in the reservoir. This is one of the main things preventing the coolant from boiling. If you filled it to hot line while it was cold then it would overflow when hot. This isn't a problem other than some drips might make their way out of the overflow hose. It's not bad for the bike but it's a waste of money I suppose, and antifreeze is toxic so you're polluting. The amount coming out should be negligible so those points are basically moot.

TLDR you're good

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Explain to me how it's not because of pressure... the cooling system pressurizes, the fluid pushes its way out of the system into the reservoir. "Expansion" isn't a force of nature that causes things to happen... :wacko

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
The coolant expands when it gets hot and the pressure starts to rise. When 1.1 bar is met, the cap spring is overcome and allows coolant flow into the overflow bottle. The cap spring keeps the system at 1.1 bar. When fully warm and at pressure, the reservoir should be at full hot mark.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Re: Re: Coolant in reservoir way over the full line

Explain to me how it's not because of pressure... the cooling system pressurizes, the fluid pushes its way out of the system into the reservoir. "Expansion" isn't a force of nature that causes things to happen... :wacko

It only comes out if it over pressurizes. The cap is designed to hold the pressure which lowers the boiling point. If it over pressurizes it opens and lets fluid out. That fluid that it lets out then expands without the pressure and boils. As the system cools and the pressure drops it can open the cap and draw fluid back into the radiator. Hence it is not an "overflow" as some people call it but rather a "reservoir".

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
calling it an overflow is misleading though. I have an overflow on my bike. Its sole purpose is to catch over flow. Not hold fluid in reserve.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts

Well the other guys pretty much answered. Maybe you were thinking along the lines of what I said. Yes there is pressure but the reason there is is because of expansion of.the coolant. So it"s just the order of events I was being more concise about. Wasn"t trying a put down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts