Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody please help me.i'm thinking of converting to usd forks on my 89-750. can anybody tell me what years are compatable.i belive that i have 1991 1100 wheels on my slingshot.would i have to change the front wheel for the conversion and i've seen people talking on the forum about using 1100 usd forks becuase they're more comfortable becuase of the mounting of the clip-ons above the tripletree.what do you think i should pay for the forks.any info would be of great help

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
to make it easy on us Suzuki front ends all interchange for the following years/models

1985-1995 750's
1986-1998 1100's (was there a 99?)
1990-1992 600's

You're in Florida so you don't need to worry about the 2 stroke Suzuki USD's that work. The UK and Overseas guys could use the RGV's but I'll bet they need stiffer springs & heavier oil.

Since you have 91 wheels on already I would suggest using 91-94 forks. The primary diffences between the 750 forks and the 1100 forks are the brand & length. 750's are Showa & short. 1100's are Kyaba & longer. A few centimeters longer. The 1100's are also larger in diameter. Meaning they use a different triple clamp than the 750's. I think the 1100's are 54mm while the 750's are 50mm at the top clamp and I don't recall what the lower is but it is different too.

If you can't get an 1100 front end and you want the higher grip height, I suggest you call HELI (www.helibars.com or 1-800-859-4642) they can probably make a clip on that will clamp low but have the higher grip height. I've seen them on VFR's and they are a quality item.

People are going to have their opinions based on what they put on their gixxers and I think it is a personal taste in the end.

KJ1 and Bones did some extra work and put the newer 1000's legs on their gixxers, but you'll want to find out what they had to do to get that to work.

FWIW I put a '94 750 front end on with '96 750 calipers and have been happy. And the only thing I had to "modify" was cutting off the steering stops on the lower triple clamp. You might not have to cut off the stops on your 2nd generation frame.

There's bound to be a front end you can use on Ebay...just keep an eye out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
to make it easy on us Suzuki front ends all interchange for the following years/models

1985-1995 750's
1986-1998 1100's (was there a 99?)
1990-1992 600's

You're in Florida so you don't need to worry about the 2 stroke Suzuki USD's that work. The UK and Overseas guys could use the RGV's but I'll bet they need stiffer springs & heavier oil.

Since you have 91 wheels on already I would suggest using 91-94 forks. The primary diffences between the 750 forks and the 1100 forks are the brand & length. 750's are Showa & short. 1100's are Kyaba & longer. A few centimeters longer. The 1100's are also larger in diameter. Meaning they use a different triple clamp than the 750's. I think the 1100's are 54mm while the 750's are 50mm at the top clamp and I don't recall what the lower is but it is different too.

If you can't get an 1100 front end and you want the higher grip height, I suggest you call HELI (www.helibars.com or 1-800-859-4642) they can probably make a clip on that will clamp low but have the higher grip height. I've seen them on VFR's and they are a quality item.

People are going to have their opinions based on what they put on their gixxers and I think it is a personal taste in the end.

KJ1 and Bones did some extra work and put the newer 1000's legs on their gixxers, but you'll want to find out what they had to do to get that to work.

FWIW I put a '94 750 front end on with '96 750 calipers and have been happy. And the only thing I had to "modify" was cutting off the steering stops on the lower triple clamp. You might not have to cut off the stops on your 2nd generation frame.

There's bound to be a front end you can use on Ebay...just keep an eye out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info simon..hope you are doing better from your accident.i'll keep an eye out on e-bay for the forks. one shop quoted me $600.00 .i think the're nuts.thanks again for the info.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I have a set of 93 750 forks but no triples. tThey just had new seals installed along with RaceTech .95 springs and 10wt oil. 300.00+frt. I am switching the forks on my 88 to 94 750 forks (the blue ones) just for the looks.
Bones

1 - 7 of 7 Posts