Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
Learn to quit while your ahead ... the Administrator of this site here has spoken , you will listen.

The End

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thx for all the input folks. I have bought the bike so it will be doing some track work, hopefully I don't drop it but if I do then so be it, I will repair it. It may not be the best option but it looks cool and I'm sure I will have fun and that's what I am really after. Like I said the last time I was out there it was on a 2010 Triumph Thruxton, I would expect this to be a significant improvement from that.

Also, I am really not sure why this is so contentious, if you compare the situation to cars, then there are lots of old classics out there every weekend pounding around with older tech and nobody bats an eyelid.

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
Thx for all the input folks. I have bought the bike so it will be doing some track work, hopefully I don't drop it but if I do then so be it, I will repair it. It may not be the best option but it looks cool and I'm sure I will have fun and that's what I am really after. Like I said the last time I was out there it was on a 2010 Triumph Thruxton, I would expect this to be a significant improvement from that.

Also, I am really not sure why this is so contentious, if you compare the situation to cars, then there are lots of old classics out there every weekend pounding around with older tech and nobody bats an eyelid.
Congrats on your purchase ....

You will find cars are nothing like bikes when you crash them.

but let’s not get bogged down on that , ride it enjoy it ... I will suggest that if you can find cheap quality parts buy them up and store them 👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thx ... actually, one thing I am considering doing is replacing the original fairing pieces with aftermarket ones (and storing the originals). Any input on the ones from fairing master.com? Any suggestions for what other parts I should keep an eye out for? Thx

·
Super Moderator
15,011 Posts
IMO that bike is way too clean to turn into a track bike at this stage of it's life. It would be different if you bought a brand new bike and decided to track it. It looks like someone took good care of it and you should too.

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
IMO that bike is way too clean to turn into a track bike at this stage of it's life. It would be different if you bought a brand new bike and decided to track it. It looks like someone took good care of it and you should too.
Yep ... exactly , being a classic now it’s a damn shame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i'm late to this discussion, but i totally agree to whom above said that a k6/k7 600 , for the same money, would have been a much better solution. I also agree that a so good-kept bike of that age deserve some different care. also if is true that lot of guys race with vintage veichles

i can only say that in italy, for € 3.000 , you can get easily a good 600 for track use, with plenty of replacements of any type on ebay and ali.

i bought one for € 1.500 1 year ago, with some minor damages from a track crash, and restored it with less than € 300 using aliexpress for all the non-core parts (windshield at € 8, front bracket at € 20, foot pegs at € 8 and so on....)
is my actual track bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

First post here I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether a 1998 Gsxr 750 would be a good idea as a track bike, I have my eye on a local bike which has 15K miles, I am going to go take a look today but my guess is that it has been looked after based on the photos/mileage, but we will see. I am more concerned with availability of parts and how expensive it would be to fix if I go down or just regular wear and tear mechanical items.

I currently have a BMW 9T Racer, which I don't want to take to the track as I suspect damage repairs would be super expensive.

Previous track experience was on my old Triumph Thruxton a few years ago, I did a few weekends on it. I had a blast and am really keen to get some more experience on a faster bike.

Any input would be much appreciated. All the best.

David

• Hi David, I have been using an 01 gsxr600 ex-racebike for the past 7yrs and still enjoy it. I agree and disagree with a little of what pretty everyone has said here. I recently bought an 04 750 to replace my 600, but it is sooo nice I'm struggling as whether to use it for a track bike or not. Like mine, It's not like your upgrade is a really valuable bike, it's just a nice bike. It's better than what you had and as long as you use it as you described and use good tires I'm sure you will be fine. Try not to over-think this, just go have some fun, use the coaches and learn to be a better rider. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thx again guys, I will post an update later in this year to let you all know how it's going ... and I will be following the last piece of advice in the last post 😁 David

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,113 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I'd perfer somthing newer for the track as everyone already suggested. That bike looks really clean. Have fun.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My first race bike was a 98 GSXR750. Bought it new in 98 and took it straight to the track. Not sure what people think slow and heavy are, but this bike was neither!! I would have one of these again today with no second thoughts. Especially one that clean.

Go my son, go to the track with your SRAD and enjoy. But please put track plastics on it, those stock ones are too pretty to wreck.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Here's a different perspective. As a track day bike, I agree it is too nice for your intended purpose, however as a vintage racebike it is state of the art. Both AHRMA since 2017 and WERA this year will have classes for that bike. It's actually considered the bike to have in AHRMA's Next Gen 2 and the new WERA V7 HW. First thing is remove that bodywork and get some air tech replacement. Secondly when race prepping do not cut any wiring rather neatly zip tie. I think in the intermediate class you'll be fine at a track day just have fun and be safe. For reference on it's capability last year at the AHRMA race at Roebling in Savannah there was a great battle between a 98 SRAD 750 and a 95 YZF 750. They were turning 1:16's or 17's. Track Record I believe is now 1:10 so not too shabby. Parts are still available for these and companies are beginning to reproduce parts as the popularity of Vintage racing continues to improve. Posting a pic of my AHRMA Next Gen 1 bike to show you can have a good time no matter what you ride.
Barber 2019.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,

First post here I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether a 1998 Gsxr 750 would be a good idea as a track bike, I have my eye on a local bike which has 15K miles, I am going to go take a look today but my guess is that it has been looked after based on the photos/mileage, but we will see. I am more concerned with availability of parts and how expensive it would be to fix if I go down or just regular wear and tear mechanical items.

I currently have a BMW 9T Racer, which I don't want to take to the track as I suspect damage repairs would be super expensive.

Previous track experience was on my old Triumph Thruxton a few years ago, I did a few weekends on it. I had a blast and am really keen to get some more experience on a faster bike.

Any input would be much appreciated. All the best.

David
David,

Use that bike however you want. There are lots of people in the Novice group going very slow on fast bikes, you won't stand out. In fact people with more hp will appreciate passing you on the straights easily, less stressful for you too. When you decide the bike isn't right, deal with it then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks
I didn't realize you were in NJ. Since you're into trackdays too, you should meet the rest of us.

Thanks for that, I will be in touch later on during the year when the weather warms up. One question if you don't mind: I noticed that the tires on the bike are 9 years old (still plenty of thread left though) so I want to change them, any recommendations on size/model for street and light track use :) ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for that, I will be in touch later on during the year when the weather warms up. One question if you don't mind: I noticed that the tires on the bike are 9 years old (still plenty of thread left though) so I want to change them, any recommendations on size/model for street and light track use :) ?
Congrats on the bike and the decision to take something to the track and have some fun riding. I think it's great that you got a bike that YOU like for the track and really, you can have fun doing track days and improving your riding skills on whatever kind of bike you choose. People rail around on all sorts of vintage and older bikes and often times are much faster and better riders in general than ones on the top of the line- super fast bikes anyway.

I coach with the California Superbike School and oftentimes we have riders bring their own bikes and the variety of brands, styles and ages of bikes is incredible. What's also incredible is how fast and well some riders rail around the track on older bikes, touring bikes, Harley's, small bikes etc....it's not so much about WHAT you ride, but HOW you ride.

One thing I do hope you consider is what someone else mentioned and that is to utilize the coaches, or take some advanced riding schools to better your own technique so you can ride your new bike as well as possible. I disagree with the statement that you WILL crash it, (only that it is a possibility if you override your abilities) and therefor the more effort you put into learning how to ride well and improve your own riding skills, the better :)

And about the tires, Yes please change them, even with tread left there can still be other issues with the tire being old and providing less traction than something newer and track specific rubber. You should definitely put new tires on. We use Dunlop Q3's at the school.

Happy track riding!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Congrats on the bike and the decision to take something to the track and have some fun riding. I think it's great that you got a bike that YOU like for the track and really, you can have fun doing track days and improving your riding skills on whatever kind of bike you choose. People rail around on all sorts of vintage and older bikes and often times are much faster and better riders in general than ones on the top of the line- super fast bikes anyway.

I coach with the California Superbike School and oftentimes we have riders bring their own bikes and the variety of brands, styles and ages of bikes is incredible. What's also incredible is how fast and well some riders rail around the track on older bikes, touring bikes, Harley's, small bikes etc....it's not so much about WHAT you ride, but HOW you ride.

One thing I do hope you consider is what someone else mentioned and that is to utilize the coaches, or take some advanced riding schools to better your own technique so you can ride your new bike as well as possible. I disagree with the statement that you WILL crash it, (only that it is a possibility if you override your abilities) and therefor the more effort you put into learning how to ride well and improve your own riding skills, the better :)

And about the tires, Yes please change them, even with tread left there can still be other issues with the tire being old and providing less traction than something newer and track specific rubber. You should definitely put new tires on. We use Dunlop Q3's at the school.

Happy track riding!
Thanks for the advice ... I just got Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires installed, next step is to change the fairings and then I'm good to go.

I wholeheartedly agree that riding within your ability level will significantly reduce the chances of going down, I plan to increase that level by leveraging the coaches as much as possible.

Thanks again, David

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the advice ... I just got Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires installed, next step is to change the fairings and then I'm good to go.

I wholeheartedly agree that riding within your ability level will significantly reduce the chances of going down, I plan to increase that level by leveraging the coaches as much as possible.

Thanks again, David
Great!! Have fun and let us know how it goes!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts