Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First post here I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether a 1998 Gsxr 750 would be a good idea as a track bike, I have my eye on a local bike which has 15K miles, I am going to go take a look today but my guess is that it has been looked after based on the photos/mileage, but we will see. I am more concerned with availability of parts and how expensive it would be to fix if I go down or just regular wear and tear mechanical items.

I currently have a BMW 9T Racer, which I don't want to take to the track as I suspect damage repairs would be super expensive.

Previous track experience was on my old Triumph Thruxton a few years ago, I did a few weekends on it. I had a blast and am really keen to get some more experience on a faster bike.

Any input would be much appreciated. All the best.

David

·
Administrator
13,774 Posts
No ... I wouldn’t that’s for sure.

You should be looking at anything K7 on.

Parts are easier to find and are an infinitely better bike for track work.

Keep this old girl as is and enjoy some weekend cruises on her.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,962 Posts
Nope. The amount of money you’d spend on the bike to get it to track level preparation would get you a cheap K6/K7.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, but I don't plan to go flat out on the track, just cruise(ish) around in one of the slow groups. The goal was/is to have a faster bike than than the Thruxton and to focus on improving my everyday riding skills. Initially, I don't expect to do anything to it for track use apart from the obvious.

·
Administrator
13,774 Posts
I stand by my comment ... no one “cruises” around a track.
You will get faster and you will end up dropping or throwing it down the road.

Reactions: 600k2

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't bought that for track use, for a "classic" to garage and ride around town but not track. 3-4k will get you a decent track ready k7 or newer with better frame geometry and improved components. Also, don't plan on cruising around the track because even in Intro/novice group people ride hard.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Parts are easily available for srads on ebay in the uk anyway if I were to start out doing track days I would go for an older cheaper bike like an srad based on I'd rather fuck up a cheap bike than an expensive one I wouldn't use the one you just bought tho as it looks super clean. Over here in the uk you can pick up a half decent srad track bike for bout £1200 not sure what the prices are over ur way tho ?

·
Administrator
13,774 Posts
Parts are easily available for srads on ebay in the uk anyway if I were to start out doing track days I would go for an older cheaper bike like an srad based on I'd rather fuck up a cheap bike than an expensive one I wouldn't use the one you just bought tho as it looks super clean. Over here in the uk you can pick up a half decent srad track bike for bout £1200 not sure what the prices are over ur way tho ?
This bike has gone past old too classic status ...
It’s an awful platform for a track bike , heavy slow and with carb’s that need constant work.

OP pls listen to those that actually do track work.

Other options are 2008 and on R6 , 2007 and on CBR600RR.

Cbr handles brilliantly and the R6 is more powerful.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This bike has gone past old too classic status ...
It’s an awful platform for a track bike , heavy slow and with carb’s that need constant work.

OP pls listen to those that actually do track work.

Other options are 2008 and on R6 , 2007 and on CBR600RR.

Cbr handles brilliantly and the R6 is more powerful.
I'm not saying an srad is as good as the later bikes but for starting out just having a bit of fun its fine and like I said I dont know about over there but in the uk parts are easily available for srads and it's cheap that's all I was saying I would rather fuck up a cheap bike ?

·
Administrator
13,774 Posts
I'm not saying an srad is as good as the later bikes but for starting out just having a bit of fun its fine and like I said I dont know about over there but in the uk parts are easily available for srads and it's cheap that's all I was saying I would rather fuck up a cheap bike ?
Did you read any of my posts dude ...

It’s a terrible platform ... it’s old heavy slow and needs twice as much work to go half as fast , ending up costing more.

There is no going slow on track ... period.

Heck you’d be better off with a Ninja 300.

Like i said unless you have been there and done it ... your entitled too your opinion, you’ve voiced it.

Leave the advice to those that know better.

Reactions: 2017Dave

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I don’t think OP got the answer he was looking for. I wouldn’t take that bike to the track for all of the previously mentioned reasons.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you read any of mine you can pick up a half decent srad track bike for around £1200 which is less than half the price I have been to plenty of track days I didn't ride I help prepare a couple of mates track bikes a (600 srad) and an early r1 and they both had plenty of fun. Djharte said he dont wanna be a pro racer just wants to have a bit of fun I dont know what track days are like over your way but I would imagine they are the same as here we have different groups slow intermediate and fast and there are plenty of srads out there also rsv 650s and even old 1990s 400s I've 've just bought an old 1998 zx6r which I will be using this year not the best far from it but plenty enough to have some fun on this is my opinion dont take it personally 8you4t I'm here to make friends and share my experiences and knowledge ?

·
Administrator
13,774 Posts
Did you read any of mine you can pick up a half decent srad track bike for around £1200 which is less than half the price I have been to plenty of track days I didn't ride I help prepare a couple of mates track bikes a (600 srad) and an early r1 and they both had plenty of fun. Djharte said he dont wanna be a pro racer just wants to have a bit of fun I dont know what track days are like over your way but I would imagine they are the same as here we have different groups slow intermediate and fast and there are plenty of srads out there also rsv 650s and even old 1990s 400s I've 've just bought an old 1998 zx6r which I will be using this year not the best far from it but plenty enough to have some fun on this is my opinion dont take it personally 8you4t I'm here to make friends and share my experiences and knowledge ?
Well iv been doing track now for over 20 years ... tell me again why I’m wrong or why you seem to want an argument.

Did you even check where OP is from ... wtf has the prices or availability of parts in the UK got to do with his situation?!

May I make a suggestion, if you wish to have a long stay here , listen to the staff when they ask you nicely to stop while your ahead.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not after an argument ur the one getting all catty yes I would like to stay but u will prob ban me now anyway cos I have a different opinion

·
Registered
322 Posts
Also I never said u were wrong everyone is intiltled to their opinion I meant you no disrespect I know u know ur shit having been involved with other conversations with you so I am sorry and I apologise to you if you thought I was being disrespectful to you but that isnt how I meant it to come across ?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts