Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m thinking of buying a 2003 GSXR600. The guy selling it is telling me its not fuel injected but I look it up and it doesn’t show me any 03 that’s carburated. What can y’all tell me? Is it FI or not?

· Registered
257 Posts
To my knowledge the last gsxr on carbs was the SRAD. Pretty sure the K1 was fuel injected so a K3 would be also.

If the guy selling the bike doesn’t even know if his bike is FI or on carbs I would consider what else he doesn’t know..... such as when to service it, when to do chain maintenance etc etc.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To my knowledge the last gsxr on carbs was the SRAD. Pretty sure the K1 was fuel injected so a K3 would be also.

If the guy selling the bike doesn’t even know if his bike is FI or on carbs I would consider what else he doesn’t know..... such as when to service it, when to do chain maintenance etc etc.
Well he says he is second owner and the bike only has 2.3K

· Registered
3 Posts
I would really question why a bike almost 20 years old only has 2000kms, this is very suspicious to me but if this is true then the bike has been sitting in storage for a very long time. If you are going to purchase this bike then be prepared for the possibility It's going to need some work to restore it back to working order after sitting for so long and if you can't do the work yourself it will be very expensive to take apart the engine. I would honestly save yourself the trouble and heartache, just buy a more recent bike that's been shown some love, has been in frequent use and is already in road worthy condition.

· Registered
92 Posts
I would really question why a bike almost 20 years old only has 2000kms, this is very suspicious to me but if this is true then the bike has been sitting in storage for a very long time. If you are going to purchase this bike then be prepared for the possibility It's going to need some work to restore it back to working order after sitting for so long and if you can't do the work yourself it will be very expensive to take apart the engine. I would honestly save yourself the trouble and heartache, just buy a more recent bike that's been shown some love, has been in frequent use and is already in road worthy condition.
+1 on this.

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
That looks sweet K3 . So Old Mate only rode it on weekends. Guys like that will do more maintenance than most, just to be near their baby. If I starts and runs you wont have to take the engine apart.
The old carb bikes are worth less, you could bargain on that.
Don't haggle with seller too much, he may ask you to take a walk.

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I think the US market is a lot different to Aus. From California to Canada there are hundreds of these bikes for sale.
In Aus, from Perth to Cairns there will only be 10.
The view that you see here in Aus is Correct, Though.

· Premium Member
8,071 Posts
geez really? man it looks real clean, definitely FI, what he dont know wont hurt him, carbed gixxers go for less money..

still do your diligence, remove fuel pump, inspect for rust and functionality, I'd replace the main fuel line, check all others, replace any vacuum lines as well, ronayers.com

man that's a score, less than 2500 miles? WOW

when you get juice to the ignition you can see the FI light comes on inthe pic.. should cycle as well, needle sweeps.. don't try to turn over just yet

you'll want to remove the spark plugs, get new, then remove the side crank access plug, be careful it striops easily, once that is removed, shoot a spot of 3 in one oil into the spark plug holes, then put a socket on the crank end bolt and turn clockwise, never spin engine backwards, so just wiggle it a lil clockwise, make sure it wants to spin, don't force it make sure its in neutral... ALSO MAKE SURE ITS NORMAL RUNNING DIRECTION IS INDEED CLOCKWISE!

I am not 100% positive on this, so check manual.. if it appears to be free not frozen continue to turn over never going backwards, maybe spritz a lil more oil in the cylinder?, then if it wants to do full rotations no problems then its time to see if it turns over with starter..

if not troubleshoot and address.. once the starter turns it over normally, install plugs and perform compression tests.. manual shows how to do this or plenty of videos on the web..

if that.s within tolerance or you just want to see if it runs for giggles, make sure gas tank is clean, pump is working with new filter, fuel line and vacuum lines its time to turn her over, so install new plugs and go for it, make sure you hear fuel pump primes after you turn key on and the clock cycles, you'll see the needle sweep forward and back..

if that happens turn on red switch on right bar with ignition on and give er a whirl, FI so you don't need to do anything, if it has a lever on the left maybe pull that back if its all free'd up and smooth, maybe check that when going over the fuel system, check it for motion and stickiness, but if its cold pull it towards you till its warmed up, its ast idle..

if it fires up and seems to run fine shut off and go over the whole bike, oil filter, check ALL fluids, inspect brakes, spin wheels and all that makes reu no wheel bearings have froze anything like that, make sure chain and sprockets are up to snuff, go over the whole bike, clean as you go..

real nice bike from my angle, worth going over with a fine tooth comb cleaning and inspecting, replacing anything questionable, tires for sure unless they are dated newish, if they're stock you need to dump em..... shouldn't be any real major issues with that bike but the 03 forum knows best for sure... check charging system per manual as well, that sorta stuff, prolly needs a new battery for sure.. once you get it up and running it should be real close for its 3000 mile inspection..

when you do take it in be sure to wear a go pro on a necklace when you go to the Suzuki service center, tell em you're 03 gsxr 600 is ready for its 3000 mile servicing... lol

take care of that one, its real nice, you'll enjoy it thoroughly

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thank everyone! I’ll be taking a look at it this afternoon and post some picks of it but I really think that if it starts right up and depending what his story is I’ll be getting it, y’all have any idea how much it could be worth?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much do you think this is this worth where you are? You know, I think the GSXR was fuel injected in 2002+ they still have the choke lever but it’s actually servers another function and controls the idle
Well the ones I’ve seen are about 5000 and have all have a significant difference in miles. I paying 5000 for it so I don’t think it was Much of a bad deal 🤷🏻‍♂️

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Some more reading for you. GSXR 750 has a very detailed history linked.
(k1 had the first fuel injection)
And look at the parts fiche, to confirm. ronayers.com: Online Shopping Motorsports Parts (y)

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I am! Lol I’m picking it up tomorrow! I wish I could up load the video of it turning on thins sounds crazy has full yoshimura exhaust just needs a new battery
The Regulator/ Rectifier is something to watch out for on these 600's ( Charging / Battery Management)
Don't worry this bike battery probably went bad from sitting, connected, for too long.
I disconnect my battery (black leads) if my bike is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks.
Search for Symptoms and fixes. There are upgrades you can do. Check this 2003 Suzuki GSX-R600Z Electrical | Ron Ayers
And I only know this, thanks to Gixxer.com. 😍

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.