Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old computer is a HP Pavillion PIII running Windows 98. It takes about 6 minutes to load to the main menu and sometimes longer. I tried defrag, clean up hard drive and even putting a new OS (xp)with clean install and it still takes about 6 minutes to load up

Spec:
Memory 512
15gig hard drive

Any suggestions??

TIA

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
How fast is the CPU?

The 15gig hard drive is probably 5200rpms which will slow you up for starters. 98 is also not as optiimzed as XP for boot times.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How fast is the CPU?

The 15gig hard drive is probably 5200rpms which will slow you up for starters. 98 is also not as optiimzed as XP for boot times.
800mhz

I did a clean install of XP and it still takes about 6 minutes to load. Would a new hard drive solve this problem? Something wrong with the cables or memory?

·
Registered
649 Posts
win98 boots faster than winxp.

id say its a combination of slow hard drive, slow / bad RAM, slow cpu..

now might be a good time to upgrade your hardware

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
win98 boots faster than winxp.

id say its a combination of slow hard drive, slow / bad RAM, slow cpu..

now might be a good time to upgrade your hardware
maybe when using slower hardware, but when you have a 2ghz machine and a 7200 rpm hard drive XP blows 98 out of the water for speed.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
WIth current hardware XP will boot much faster than '98.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade your processor and RAM. It's all pretty cheap these days.

As a side note, did anyone notice how pharkin fast WInME booted and rebooted... that was super human. Even my old 1.2GHz AMD would boot in like seconds. Too bad it blows it's load on the boot and has squat for computing power after that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts