Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'm thinking of throwing a 520 conversion on my '04 gixxer 600 and was wondering if anyone had done a detailed "how to" on this subject. It seems lilke a pretty easy install so i don't want to pay 160 to have it done. Are there any pitfalls that you know of that would be good to know before getting into it? Any help in advance would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah i'm going down one in front and up two in the rear, not that that matters too much.

·
Registered
637 Posts
it is simple

1. put bike on rear stand

2. take left fairing off

3. take shifter bracket off

4. take countershaft sprocket cover off

5. ensure bike is in gear, take the big nut off holding the sprocket on (hold the brake if just being in gear is not enough}

6. loosen the chain adjuster nuts from the rear axle, then loosen the axle

7. push the rear tire forward

8. rotate wheel and pull the chain off the sprocket

9. take tire off the bike

10. get chain breaker and remove chain from bike

11. pull countershaft sprocket off

12. remove the 6 nuts holding the rear sprocket on

13. reverse this to install the new chain and sprockets

just know you will really be showing a faster speed than you are actually going, so when you are riding around and your speedo says 190, well dont get talking too much, cuz ya aint doin it lol

the hardest part of the whole conversion would be putting the master link back together, not that that is difficult.

also remember that you need to ensure your chain is running straight

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, that's why this website is so damn useful..... i can post something and within an hour i'm getting exactly the help i needed. Thanks so much, i'm gonna give it a whirl as soon as the parts come in!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh one other question......should i have torque specs for the nuts that hold the sprocket on? Thanks in advance as i'll be doing this within the next couple days since the parts should be here tomorrow!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.