Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to start this off, I know a sport bike is bad for a first bike. I know everyone thinks I'm going to kill myself before leaving the dealershiup parking lot. So lets get beyond that, and just have a discussion about sportbikes.

I AM looking to get my first bike (and I'm definetly getting a sportbike so don't bother), and wondered what ya'lls opinion was on which bike is more street friendly: an older 750 (98-99) or a newer 600 (00-02). I understand that power is going to be kinda close w/ the 750 making more torque, and the price is close as well. What I'm curious about is which bike responds better as a true street bike (emergency braking, vibration on the freeway, etc)?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
both will respone similar. They are R bikes so the braking is up there. I still don't understand why your choices comes to those... but i have to tell myself over and over again like any other new riders who is looking for a sport bike.

"By end of the day, you already made your choice, why ask us?"

We will tell you over and over again, that a R bike will not be great as a first timer. If you really, want a street bike, look into the older ones, like F1, F2, F3, FZR600, SV650. Those are cheaper on insurance, parts and drop them like it is hot and you still won't be hurting your pocket in replacing parts. If you factor the newer bikes with parts and insurance and of course your life, it is not worth it in the long run because we will be hearing a thread on here about a friend of a friend passed away because he misjudge the turn.

i'm not here to bash you or tell you what to do, because the quote is what i'm standing on and you will here... sportbikes are dangerous. yup, it is

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm well aware that sportbikes are dangerous. Probably moreso than my 400+hp stang, but lucky enough for me I got my retards out in that ride first. I understand that these bikes are powerful, and I understand that everyone on this site thinks that if I haven't "ridden as much as them" (which seems to amount to me having to have started riding while still in the womb) that I'll kill myself before leaving the dealership parking lot.

That aside, I want to choose a bike thats not going to be unbearable on, say, an hour ride on the freeway. Someone had mentioned earlier (in another thread I made) that the 96-99 750's had some head shake, and I was wondering if this was problem that the later 600's exhibited too.

If its any difference to anyone, the bike I'm currently trying to purchase is a "streetfightered" '98 750. So I don't have to worry about destroying $1200 worth of plastics when I drop it (previous owner apparently did that for me), and can put them on when I feel comfortable. I just needed to know if these bike was going to be so horribly uncomfortable as to be unridable compared to a later, comparatively priced 600.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
Have you ever ridden a bike? Your 400+ hp stang doesn't compare at all - it has 4 wheels... If you gas it too much in a turn, the rear spins out - a bike lowsides - or, if you just chop the throttle (which is the natural reaction when you are a new rider), it highsides, launching you off...

If you brake too hard in your stang, it slides - the bike falls over...

Both over-gassing and -braking is MUCH easier to do on a sport bike. Those things are essentially race bikes with lights and are in a completely different league than a 400+ hp Mustang.

Every spring we get a bunch of new members with the same misconceptions as you - some listen some don't and unfortunately most of those that don't come back with "I crashed my bike" posts - or don't return at all. Riding a bike is not just a question of mindset (taking it easy, having a good head, etc.) - reflexes play a much greater part and the natural reflexes (chopping the gas, grabbing the brakes, etc.) will bring you on your ass in an emergency situation if you are on a sport bike because they amplify rider errors much more than standard bikes.

Why do you even want a sport bike? To look cool? Because all your friends have sport bikes? Because you watched Biker Boyz or Torque?

I'd rather recommend one of the bikes MG6 mentions or the GS500 - pilots don't learn flying in F-18s either... Don't be a

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry that I have upset the "keepers of the gixxer," and unleashed thyne wrath upon thee. I will go back to farming mud and stop seeking to aspire to everyone on this sites holy level of bike skill.

This wasn't a "help me pick a first bike thread." This wasn't a "I need a taste of humble pie thread" This was a thread with a rather simple question directed at people whom I assumed had enough experience with different generations and displacements of the same bike to give an honest and useful answer.

Instead I get exactly the info I tried to avoid getting by stating clearly and concisely that I AM GETTING A SPORT BIKE. There's nothing anyone can say or do to stop me.

I know I'm going to drop it (hence trying to get a nekked gixxer)

I'm not some punk that just showed up for the spring. I've been lurking on this site unregistered for about two years because this is exactly the kind of welcome i figured I'd get if I did register.

I am squid, but eventually you're going to have to except some squids on this site or your membership will start to decline (even good riders kill themselves sometimes)

And AF pilots learn to fly in T38 which is used by one of the other branches as a combat aircraft (the branch and what they call the plane escapes me). One person's race bike, is another's learner.

So instead of convincing me I'm going to die, can someone offer me some useful advise (nevermind answer the question) other than "don't get a sportbike."

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
It's almost the wrong forum to be asking technical questions of this nature. This is more for new to gixxer members and new riders to come in and introduce themselves. And, if, like you, they state the usual first bike 'thang', ... the nature of the beast here is to helpfully encourage riders without the skills to start out on something smaller. This from experienced members who've seen it all & heard it all.
You're not the first to come in here with his mind all made up on getting a sportbike, and sadly, you won't be the last. But, we ain't yo' mamma, so good luck

Get out of here and go post this discussion up in General Bike or one of the more specific year bike forums for the lowdown on what you're after. I wouldn't mention that you're new to biking?
Just noticed you've been lurking for two years on here. Sheesh. You've seen this forum in action. You can't beat the system.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparantly you can't beat the system. I'm worried that no matter where I post on this board that my record is already stained by being a
. Maybe I should just create a new user name, and post again in here saying that I'm 40, and hae been riding for 15 years?

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Hehheh. You'd still be a youngster to me.
......... sadly, I'm still older than that.

I'd still make the posting in the specific bike year forums. Maybe be careful of General Bike. It has its, umm, quirks, too, at times.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey take a look at a Suzuki GSX-R type ad...at the bottom of their ad they state " Suzuki engineered the GSX-Rs for experienced riders". Are you one of those? No, but what the heck what does Suzuki know? they only the race bikes, build the bikes, and know what they are actually capable of. I'm sure you know alot more than what Suzuki knows.

Stupid!!!.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
To cover both series properly, you'd probably have to post it in General Bike, but you could try the 96 to 99 gixxers forum It covers the 600s up to 00, which sorta gets it in there. Can't see much difference between the 00 to 02 600s, and maybe it'll get you started in the right direction.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Here. I took your posts, edited out the extra stuff and added a quick optional paragraph. This is basically your words. Cut and paste 'er in a new post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, to start this off, I want to have an open discussion about sportbikes.

-------(optional to avoid any backlash)------
I've been riding for awhile now, but I have zero experience with these types of bikes. My history is more the standard or UJM. I want to get into the sport scene, and have a chance at a streetfighter.
------(/optional)-----

I'm wondering what ya'lls opinion was on which bike is more street friendly: an older 750 (98-99) or a newer 600 (00-02). I understand that power is going to be kinda close w/ the 750 making more torque, and the price is close as well. What I'm curious about is which bike responds better as a true street bike (emergency braking, vibration on the freeway, etc)?

I want to choose a bike thats not going to be unbearable on, say, an hour ride on the freeway. Someone had mentioned earlier (in another thread I made) that the 96-99 750's had some head shake, and I was wondering if this was problem that the later 600's exhibited too.

I just need to know if these bikes are going to be so horribly uncomfortable as to be unridable compared to a later, comparatively priced 600.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont' forget to remove the optional text in the ( )s.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
let me try to address this one tho.

the srad vs the fi is very similar. The only difference is the setup they have. One is Carb(srads) and the other is a Fuel injector (FI).

as for the head shake on the srads, i don't think i heard of it before or maybe it is just the rumble it produce because it is not smooth and it is choppy due to the carb. But given that as the factor, i still don't think it will shake your head that much. The only problem i am finding on the head shake is the shock/forks gone bad.

Remember, the srad is an old bike, so for the shock and forks to gone bad is a sign of head shake.

just tapping the top water but it would be best to post this on the general tho

·
Registered
763 Posts
Here is the answer to your question, broken into different parts:

1. The 600 will feel lighter and smaller and more easy to manage. That's especially good for a first bike.

2. The 750 with carbs will have a more gentle throttle response. The 750 with FI will have more snap to the response. Another consideration is the 600 having less torque, which means less snappy. For street riding, having more torque lower in the power band is a plus for the 750, though it can also get you into trouble easier. Even the 600 can snap you hard if you make a throttle mistake.

3. The brakes on the 750 will less severe. You will be less likely to lock it up. The 600 will stop sooner but you have to be more careful.

4. Comfort: broken into several categories here:
i. When I imagine an older used bike (the 750) the first thing that comes to mind, is the suspension being softer and worn out. Nicer over bumps, but worse for taking a corner.
ii. I'd say the 600 has a nicer seat.
iii. Both bikes are fine for an hour at freeway speeds, but both bikes will get to your wrists driving around in town traffic.
iv. The experience I have on the older 750's, is that the clutch was a pain on my left hand, compared to nicer lever action on the newer GSXR's. However, perhaps this can be adjusted.

5. Vibration. GSXR's vibrate. Not enough to annoy me, but I don't know you. Certainly nothing compared to a Harley or a V-twin. Also it can vary from bike to bike. Often they vibrate more as they get older, and/or as they get more out of tune. I would think a newer 600 vibrates a little less but it's no guarantee.

~*~

I can't say for sure because I haven't seen the bikes in question. But normally I am really suspicious of heavily modified bikes. You never know what changes have been made that have screwed with the fine mathematical balance the Suzuki engineering team originally put into it. Especially on an older bike where you don't know where it's been and what's happened to it. If it were myself I'd get the newer bike.

Finally, don't get too pissed about your responses here. If you come on a site and say, "Hey, I'm about to do something really dumb that you are sick and tired of hearing about. Anyway, can you give me advice?" What do you expect? GSXR's are for experienced riders. Find out the hard way if you like.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sadly, I am going to find out the hard way, and there's only so many times you can hear the same advice expressed in completely unrelated topics before you just wish people would get over it, and actually answer the question at hand.

On another note: I'm 200+ lbs. Is the 600 going to be a dog down low cuz of my weight?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts