Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

So I’m looking at swing arm options in anticipation that stock on my 88 750 may struggle with the a whole lot more ponies. Currently working through strapping the 750j head onto a B12.

Doing a little research and getting the scales out here is the weight of bolt in swing arm options:
-Braced 94 - 95 GSXR750 6.9kg
-Banana 93 GSXR750 6.4kg
-Stock 88 GSXR750 5.4kg

My top priority is handling for the track.

Anyone have direct experience with a 7/11 or 7/12 and A) whether the stock swing arm is up for the task? or B) even with the extra weight is it worth going braced or banana?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had them all, and I like the braced one best. Honestly though, I'm not sure if I actually notice any improvement in stability. I don't do track so I never really push the bike to its limits.... But it just looks good and feels right :unsure::D

@Doc_Rot Really impressive mod man, never seen anybody do that before (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I saw one of the old mag scans had an 89 711 race bike which was unbraced which gave me a little confidence. I think I’ll stick the stock swing arm back in and keep my eye out for an r1 or CBR900 swingy to chop up 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I saw one of the old mag scans had an 89 711 race bike which was unbraced which gave me a little confidence. I think I’ll stick the stock swing arm back in and keep my eye out for an r1 or CBR900 swingy to chop up 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Closing the loop…

I ended up hacking the brace off a 97 Fireblade. Wouldn’t say the fit is the best as there was a bit of a compromise with have to use plate for mounting/welding at the shock pivot end - in being able to still fit shock mount and dog bones.

Nonetheless, brace should still be effective with the heap load more 7/12 ponies.

Final weight with bearings is 6.1kg, so still well ahead of the braced 94 - 95 option.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thats a good start but i think you need to box in the front of the brace to really tie it in and triangulate that area. the brace is more about withstanding lateral twisting forces rather than vertical rigidity. Also, ideally add some additional triangulation mid way in the brace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats a good start but i think you need to box in the front of the brace to really tie it in and triangulate that area. the brace is more about withstanding lateral twisting forces rather than vertical rigidity. Also, ideally add some additional triangulation mid way in the brace.
Yeah agree, that was the plan, but welder ended up doing something a little different with concerns for chain, subframe and dog bone clashes. He isn’t super experienced with bike frames. Joys of working within covid restrictions.

Anyhow, thinking I’ll give it a go, and come back to some more bracing once I can travel further out.
Thanks for the thoughts. Triangles for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts