Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Been trying to find some info regarding the 750 -97. I have been offered to by one to a really good price, but I have no experience of this bike (I have a 1100 -88 WOHOOOOO... LOVING IT!!!!!). Are there any common faults that one needs to check up that it has been fixed? What are the pro's and con's of this one (I believe that it is the first one in that series?) vs the -98 or -99?

Greatful for all tips and non-flames

Best regards

Fredrik

Ps. Just for fun, How much would you pay for a 750 in good condition (Yeah, I know, but what do You feel is 'good condition'....) in your country. I live in Sweden so pardon my f*cked up spelling

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Since you live in Stockholm, home to all those street racer videos, you'll probably feel slow on anything smaller than a bored out Busa.

The '97 750 is carbed; the switch to FI occured in '98. No big deal, you'll just have some extra tinkering to do...and no TRE mod for you!

I'm running a '98 600 and the primary thing that gets me thinking about an upgrade is making the switch to FI. That, and maybe a bigger engine obviously.

The '97 is a great bike. I'm not positive, but there may have been a cam chain tensioner recall on 750's of that year. Might want to look into it.

Re: price...is the bike in perfect shape? Any add-ons? To give you a ballpark figure, you can check the Kelley Blue Book value.

PS- someone was selling that exact bike in Toronto during the summer. Mint bodywork, full D&D exhaust, Stage 1 jet kit, and 20K km's. He was asking $6,200 Cdn (a little under $4K US)

[ 11-28-2002, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Brolo ]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i've had no problems with mine except for the cct, which i'm replacing soon, but it only has 9k on it. i wouldn't worry about it being carbed. i had a 98 750 and the only difference was the 98 had more mid-range but less top end. the 97 has all top-end. you hit 7500 and the thing go's nuts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a 97' recently...mint cond. w/8,000 mi. only extras were LP blue screen, 2nd look seats and tank bra and i paid $4,000 us from a friend. Only thing from recent experience CHECK THE GAS TANK FOR RUST!
It wasnt bad, but if it has it you can negotiate the price more
. All in all I luv my GIXXER!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have loved mine since I got it, it is a 97 750, I installed the Yosh MJN jet kit and followed their recommendations on how to tune it and it has all kinds of bottom mid and top, it is scary fast. I just want a new 1000. PM me if you guys wnat to know how to get more throttle response out of that carbed 750 I can help you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also, that site potatoesmc is sick, that has some of the best riding vids I have ever seen. I have almost all of them downloaded for me daily fix during the winter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by Freppa:
Hi!

Been trying to find some info regarding the 750 -97. I have been offered to by one to a really good price, but I have no experience of this bike (I have a 1100 -88 WOHOOOOO... LOVING IT!!!!!). Are there any common faults that one needs to check up that it has been fixed? What are the pro's and con's of this one (I believe that it is the first one in that series?) vs the -98 or -99?

Greatful for all tips and non-flames

Best regards

Fredrik

Ps. Just for fun, How much would you pay for a 750 in good condition (Yeah, I know, but what do You feel is 'good condition'....) in your country. I live in Sweden so pardon my f*cked up spelling
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I JUST BOUGHT ONE FOR $3400 WITH 4950 MILES

·
Registered
748 Posts
I got mine for $3,500 (end of the season is definitly a buyers market).

Full D&D exhaust, protekk rearset, new chain, rear stand, steering dampener.

This is my second bike; moved up from a Ninja 250 EX. I absolutly love it, but I need to take a MSF course to feel really comfortable.

OLD BIKE

NEW BIKE ('97 GSX-R 750)

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Just noticed that the Ram Air tubes on your bike, are missing there G-Spot...
Don't know if it will hurt riding w/o trhem, but it don't look to cool w/o them...

[ 12-22-2002, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Hammer 4 ]

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looking at it a little more closely you seem to be missing the plastic that goes between the lower sides straight behind the wheel and covers the headers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm no expert... just a personal experience, it'll kinda affect the ride without the ram air tubes especially at low speeds even at high you'll get inconsistent firing... based only from my experience when i took out my 97 after the paint job without installing the tubes just yet. carbs backfired and i thought the plugs were fouled...i simply placed the tubes on and it was running smooth. --- jeez what a difference.

whats your experience without the tubes?

[ 12-23-2002, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: migs ]

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by migs:
I'm no expert... just a personal experience, it'll kinda affect the ride without the ram air tubes especially at low speeds even at high you'll get inconsistent firing... based only from my experience when i took out my 97 after the paint job without installing the tubes just yet. carbs backfired and i thought the plugs were fouled...i simply placed the tubes on and it was running smooth. --- jeez what a difference.

whats your experience without the tubes?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Swell...now there's 2 Mig's on here...
Except the other spells his MIGZ...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bought the bike and it had been in a reck. The guy raced it a few times before I got it and he said he went down while racing.

That's probably why the ram air tubes are missing. I asked the guy for them but he said that he took them off because they didn't add any performance, but I'm not sure if that's true.

I still have the stock front fender, the guy I bought this from said he didn't like the look of it for whatever reason.

I also have the V plastic used between the two lower fairing pieces, just gotta get some bolts for it.
Anyone know where I can get the stainless mushroom type bolts from? Home Depot doesn't carry them

If anyone know's where I can get a pair of ram air tubes from, I'm looking for them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts