Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K2 750 with a lithium ion battery my low beam bulb went 5 days ago and haven’t ridden it since waiting for shipping of the new bulb.

fitted the new one and tried to turn the bike on and nothing happened tried to jump it with a car and it does run.

Ran it for about 3-5 minutes while still hooked up to the car but taking it off it dies immediately and now I’m getting a code on the dash with “check 35929” is the battery actually dead because I know if lithium ions go below a certain voltage it’s dead and a new battery it is.

the key was out of the bike in the garage for 5 days without the parking lights on but it does get very cold in the UK winter not sure if that killed it or not

any help is appreciated thanks!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,843 Posts
I'm not familiar with the details of the 750 but would expect it to be very similar to the 1000. There CHEC would be displayed if the ECM isn't receiving power or has otherwise failed. In user mode, either the temperature or FI alternating with the temperature would be displayed. In dealer mode, -C00 would be displayed (or other numbers if faults were detected). But I'm unaware of any way to get eleven digits displayed.

Lithium batteries are somewhat fragile. They don't do well at low temperatures but cranking a bit and waiting can provide enough self-heat for them to work. If you run them down below about 2 volts per cell (8 volts for four in series) they may be wrecked. Hooking them up in parallel with a car battery is asking for trouble. You need to keep them fully charged. The self-drain of lithiums is low but their smaller capacity means that the bike's parasitic drain can run the battery down fairly quickly while sitting. I have a quick connect and unplug the battery if it sits for more than several days. Even then, I monitor the voltage and try to keep it above 14.000 volts, topping it up with a Battery Tender Jr. as needed. Finally, many chargers have a desulfating feature that is great for lead-acids but will immediately wreck a lithium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts