Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 GSXR 750. It take 2 or 3 trys for it to start up when its cold, once it warms up its starts right up. When its coldIt starts up for a second the dies out, It sound like its not getting gas or somthing. Im thinking it just needs an adjustment or somting. The 2002 doesn have a choke or a primer, but I dono if there is a place on the bike to turn up the amount of fuel that goes in the bike for startup. Has anyone else had this problem. THanks

Tom,

·
Registered
637 Posts
i got the same, and it does the same, when cold it takes 3 times for it to run no matter what.
No there is no fuel tickler, or choke on the 2002, the 2001 had one, but they deleted it for the 2002. you would think suzuki, even though they dont have a choke, could use the temp sensor to richen the fuel/air ratio for startup, but i am not sure they have one, if they do, they screwed up the ratio, cuz it dont work

just have to start it 3 times, and hope you have a good battery.

·
Registered
213 Posts
...And i thought that i was the only one having that problem! Yeah, i have heard that it is supposed to be an automatic choke... but my guess is that when the temp is too cold to register (when you see the three dashes) that the choke can't compensate enough, or something. Who knows i could just be making up words to describe somthing that really isn't happening. Anyways, what i DO know is that toughing the throttle, in my case, doesn't nothing but bogg out the motor, even if it is the slightest amount. I have just got used to starting my bike a couple of times. Another thing i noticed is that if you start it and hold in the clutch for a little longer then it doesn't want to die as easily. So usually on teh second go around i hold the clutch in for a while and let it warm up until my hand gets tired and then slowly let out the clutch... if it dies again, unually i just start it a 3rd time and don't bother with the clutch. It has been pretty cold around here (actually just got like 4 inches of snow at my place) but i think in the summer this problem goes away, for the most part... it has just been so damn long i can't remember!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies, Ill give cracking the throttle a try, but If I get on it too much it seems to die out anyways. Im just glad everyone else is having the same problem cause I thought maybe I bought a piece of trash or somthing. If there is anything to fix this problem completely that would be great.

·
Registered
650 Posts
'02 750. I have the same problem. I actually think that the cold start mechanisim on the bike is too rich especially for my Denver area altitude. If I had planned on staying in Denver any longer (probably moving in June) I was thinking of getting a power commander and seeing if I could lean it out a bit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My 02 does the same thing and it has a power commander. I think it comes down to the automatic choke. It gives my bike character. lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 03 cranks 1st try ONLY if battery is fully charged (12.8v) and I have my stock can on.
With my 2 bros pipe it takes three tries and then only if my battery is very fresh. Ive come
to live with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts