Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Cold roads/Tire question

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  06gixer600ryder 
#1 ·
well unluckily for me i live on the eastcoast, where the temperature starts dropping around this time of year. I wanted to know at what temps should i start to worry about tire slippage even after my tires are nice and fuzzy warm? New to riding so i dont want to take any chances...right now in Jersey, its roughly highs of 53-55.

input is appreciated..thanks

#2 ·
I would say after about 5 miles of continuous twisties, your tires will be fine. Of course, they're prolly not gonna be as warm as if you did those same 5 miles at the track, but still nice and warm if twisties are continuous. GPs are a plus (and essential for knee draggin' for an amateur like me). GL.

#4 ·
there really is no set range.
There are too many variables like road surface, condition of road, bike,tyres, air temp, ground temp, riding experience/ability, nada nada nada

What I would say though is the cooler it gets the longer it takes to get your tyres up to operating temps. They may NEVER get to the ideal dependant on circumstances. Reducing the pressures slightly over the winter can help get more heat into the tyre (but beware, the flip side of lower pressures is lower straight line stability as heat is generated through carcass flex, so dont go very low!!!).

Experience will show you that you feel the differences. Take it easy and be more gentle than normal and you will have few issues.

#6 ·
i belive in taken it easy durin cold and rain and ect..........but a man must no his limitations.........i suggest just once in each cold and rain..........ride a tad bit more agressive than usual in the same conditions and no your limits....get comfortable with doin it.........wat if sumn happened and you needed to act quickly..........if you dont know how aggressive you cant act then most likely your gonna be payin out some money for parts bein replaced.........on the other hand if you know how hard you can brake in rain or lean in rain ect......... then you might be able to save it and act more calmly in any given situation......

#8 ·
00rngr said:
i belive in taken it easy durin cold and rain and ect..........but a man must no his limitations.........i suggest just once in each cold and rain..........ride a tad bit more agressive than usual in the same conditions and no your limits....get comfortable with doin it.........wat if sumn happened and you needed to act quickly..........if you dont know how aggressive you cant act then most likely your gonna be payin out some money for parts bein replaced.........on the other hand if you know how hard you can brake in rain or lean in rain ect......... then you might be able to save it and act more calmly in any given situation......
+1

I would suggest riding in the cold and rain if for no other reason than to develop some confidence. Contrary to popular belief, these bikes don't drop THAT easy. I wouldn't try to drag knee in the sleet/snow but it is possible to ride when it's raining or through sand etc without dropping the bike. You will never know that until you try.

One suggestion, if it has just started raining, wait about 15-20 minutes (depending on how hard it is raining) to wash the bullshit off of the road before you ride. It is slickest immediately after the rain starts. If i am already riding and it starts raining, i will use that time to get some gas and something to drink etc...then head back out. If nothing else, you can pull under an overpass or in a car wash bay for a few minutes and stretch your legs or something.

#9 ·
Who really knows, there are too many variables. But I can share some insight, I was leaving work one morning when it was hella cold (okay well cali cold which is like 40 sumthn) I was on the road about a mile or so and started weaving to warm up the tires then BAM i was street louging on my ass at 45 mph. Perhaps I was goin to fast or weaving too hard for that temp, but it made me think twice since about bein careful when its cold out. I was actually tryn to warm up the tires so I could hit some twisties on the way home! An off subject note though, my gear saved my ass literally! That cant be stressed enough!
:cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.