Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air box gets cold air from one of the snorkels. Question: Would it be possible to convert this cold air system to a true ram air system? Is it as simple as sealing the air box and hooking up the other unused snorkel? Has somebody done it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have read that sealing these tubes might increase power a little bit. The owners of 600 SRAD's have tried it. But don't forget that these bikes have already a Ram-Air System that works much better than ours.
Why don't give it a try?

Keep me informed if it works!

Greetz!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
well also remember that with the increase of pressure will need increase of gas. If you don't you will lean out at top.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The stock inlet is really too small to be an effectve ram-air intake and will probably strangle the engine at low speeds if you seal it all up. Airtech made a ram air box for oil coolers which is probably your best bet if you're serious about this but it's not cheap ($500 I think) and you also need to deal with Airtech. I believe it included a modified pair of air intake tubes with much larger openings.

Ram air is tricky and unless you really have a good reason to do it it's probably not worth it.

Matt

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by audi1031:
well also remember that with the increase of pressure will need increase of gas. If you don't you will lean out at top.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've never actually done this mod myself, but the way the CV carbs work is based on the pressure differential across the venturi in the carbs... if you pressurize the airbox with ram-air, then you also have to vent the float-bowls to the airbox instead of to the atmosphere so that the fuel gets pressurized the same amount as the incoming air. I'm not sure how to go about doing this... perhaps the fuel-tank should be vented to the airbox? In any case, you'd have to make some sort of provision for pressurizing the fuel in the float-bowls rather than just changing the jetting, else the jetting wouldn't work across all the different gears.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
why would you want to do that with CV carbs?

Dump the airbox, gat a stage 3 dynojet kit and a free flowing exhaust. Head polished and an overbore and if you need it, a turbo and nitrous and engine work.

Andy

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
fastcat's on the right track....take a close look at carbed bikes that come from the factory with ram air, to get an idea. of course, the difference is, the factory has spent countless hours and dollars in r&d to get it right.....

it can be done of course, but weigh the benefits vs. the cost. ram air doesn't give big gains even with a theoretically 'perfect' ram air setup (which you won't get), and those gains are mainly evident only at higher speeds (as in, triple digit speeds).

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Best bet is what Andy said, trying to set up an effective ram air set up on these bikes for a 3-5hp gain at the top end is not worth the effort, ditch the cv's and slap on a set of flatslides and a Hindle race pipe and you will see a increase in power, also put the beast on a diet, I did it helps.
-Karl

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Ram air has got to be the ultimate poseur shit for a street bike. I mean I should talk, having a good example of poseur shit for a street bike. But, given that setting up ram air is technically work intensive and fucking useless unless you're screaming down Hockenheim in excess of 150+mph, you would be better off polishing your rims or spending the dyno time on a good shock etc etc.

Don't confuse cold air with ram air. Helluva diff between cold air into a non-pressurised bike via some simple tubing (NOT sealing) and/or thermal taping AND trying to convert one of our bikes from cool air to ram air.

Also, one of the interesting components of ram-air is the effect of wind shear when going fast with a sudden cross wind (outside Reno???).

I think the no-BS gp500 guys were admitting to one bhp at the rear wheel under wind tunnel experiments in the UK. Don't fall for the BS postulated in Motorcyclist etc..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts