Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know from the experts, the advantage to doing a Coil Spring Clutch Conversion? I have changed fibers and metals and flat springs, but I got on it a little too hard and didn't give it a chance to wear in. So, therefore I have to go back in and check the fibers, metals and springs for wear. I was told I could make the conversion for less than doing a full cultch job and have better performance with OEM parts.
I have a 1990-1127 motor.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I run oem clutch plates in my 11. I also run a katana basket which has the coil springs and have never had any proublems. Im not sure as far as cost if it would be a cheaper set up or not. But it would make a big difference.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check this out fellas, go to Oldskoolsuzuki.com and then to 7/11. There is a GSX-R Coil Spring Clutch Conversion step by step. What you guys think?

·
Banned
661 Posts
Yeah UK Lee did a write up on this exact conversion. I wanna know if it will work on a 750 as I have a complete Barnett coarbon kevlar assembly off my 86 750 and wanna know how to swap it on my 90 motor.

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
Here you go - everything you ever wanted to know about coil spring clutches , but were too afraid to ask

Conversion Article

as for the 750 , sorry dude i've never messed with one , so i wouldnt know.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks UKLee AKA "Big Dog".....I have a question on one thing though, could you send a pic of the bearing? So I know exactly what kind to buy on my conversion.

Thanks for all the info and site, I'm going to do the wiring next! U R the man...man

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
there's not much to get wrong when identifying a ball bearing , but here you go..........

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UK Lee I have a question for you. I have gotten all my parts for the spring clutch conversion and can't find a dam 10mm bearing anywhere!
but from reading your article the push rod is whats shorter. Can I use a push rod from a GS? I ran it by a guy I know and he says that the GS push rod is longer? I have no idea. Please advise.......

Blue

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
yup , the 10mm ball bearing is just there to take up the slack.

go get yourself some 6mm dia. tool steel bar , and make a new ( longer ) clutch push rod .
just cut it to length to get the required clutch action , and round the ends off. job done

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup , the 10mm ball bearing is just there to take up the slack.

go get yourself some 6mm dia. tool steel bar , and make a new ( longer ) clutch push rod .
just cut it to length to get the required clutch action , and round the ends off. job done
UK don't mean to sound ignant, but whats the recommended length? I hate to go in and out of the thing if I don't have to, but we do what we must. When you said yup, that was to the push rod on the GS correct?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts