Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2007 R1000, I replaced the clutch pack because it started slipping at high RPM. I got a factory kit, and made sure to be very careful to put the it all back in the order as stated in the service manual. When starting it up and for a split second I feel a little tug of the clutch engaging, but after that, it's not grabbing at all. I did soak the clutch pack in oil for about an hour. I can't figure out what could be the issue. Any help???

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Some of the OEM Suzuki clutch packs come with different thickness steels;measure your stack height and check the service manual to confirm. If the stack height is too tall,you will experience what you're describing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info! I'm glad I pulled the old clutch pack out of the trash when it didn't work! Thank you for the info, I'll pull it al back apart and compare.

So to confirm, if the new clutch pack is taller than the original, that will cause the clutch to not engage and the engine just free revving with the clutch lever fully released? I thought too tall would have made it too grabby instead.

Some of the OEM Suzuki clutch packs come with different thickness steels;measure your stack height and check the service manual to confirm. If the stack height is too tall,you will experience what you're describing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I tore it back apart and measured the new stack to the old one, and it's practically identical (about 1/2mm shorter actually). So I'm back at square 1 on why the the clutch won't engage with the new factory frictions, steels and springs. Any ideas? This is way too basic for me to take to a shop for.

Thank you for the info! I'm glad I pulled the old clutch pack out of the trash when it didn't work! Thank you for the info, I'll pull it al back apart and compare.

So to confirm, if the new clutch pack is taller than the original, that will cause the clutch to not engage and the engine just free revving with the clutch lever fully released? I thought too tall would have made it too grabby instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To close this out and provide info in case others run across this, the issue was the slave cylinder piston wasn't returning back into its housing. Opened the bleeder screw and pushed it back in. Clutch works perfect now.

Now I just have this damn clutch cover oil leak I can't get rid of. :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts