Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just bought an '89 GSX600F Katana. I know its not a GSXR, but I believe they use the same clutch as the GSXR 750 of the same year. I've been riding it around for a few days. Last night I was going to take it for a ride, and it wouldn't start. So, I started to push it out of the garage (in gear, with the clutch lever pulled in) and it wouldn't move, so I put it on the center stand and took a look.

After reading several chapters of my repair manual, and doing several hours of adjusting the clutch cable (from the lever, to the adjuster above the clutch cover, to the rod adjuster) I have gotten nowhere. I have adjusted the cable to the correct amount, I've gotten it too loose, and too tight, and none of these worked.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do next?

Also, I took off the cover, to get a better look at the pushrod, should I be able to push it in and disengage the clutch with my hand? Or should the springs be too strong?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
No. The springs are way too strong to do it by hand. The force at the clutch lever is multiplied many many times by the lever and the arm inside the sprocket cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, good to hear it from someone else though. Any idea what I should do about the cable then? Is it just too badly stretched? Should I just get a new one and install it?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
When a clutch cable becomes too stretched, there's usally no more adjustment left at the lever or the cover.

*Trace the entire length of the cable. Look for frayed cable housing, exposed cable.
*Detach sprocket cover and visually verify the lever pull results in the movement of the arm. Verify the arm moves out from the inter surface of the cover. There's a cam-type mechanism that translates the torque of the arm to axial movement, and that could be worn out.
*Inspect the barrels at both ends of the cable to insure there is no fraying or other damge.
*drain oil, remove clutch cover and inspect. Order new gasket before disassembly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I checked the whole cable. It turns out I was wrong, the cable seems to be fine (It moves the mechanism that moves the pushrod). Also, I unscrewed the engine oil cap, and watched it move as I pulled the lever.

So I disassembled the clutch, and cleaned each and every clutch plate (I used kerosene to clean them and compressed air to dry them). Then I reassembled the clutch. It still doesn't work.

I think the problem is that the clutch plates are sticking.

Is there anything else I can do? Or do I have to order new clutch plates? If so, does anyone know of any good stores/brands to go with?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts