Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life and weather happened and my 98 750 had been sitting for about 8 months.
No issues when parked last year but now when dropped into gear while pulling clutch, it lurches forward (1st and 2nd)
Clutch cable is properly adjusted at lever and actuator and everything else seems alright.
I found some advice online regarding leaving the clutch lever pulled overnight and rocking the bike forard and back the next day.
I tried that and the clutch will not disengage 1st when ricking the bike and pulling the lever in.
I am safe in assuming that the plates stuck together while sitting that long? Is there a way to break them loose without dropping the oil and clutch cover?
Pretty sure a year or two ago when I had an engine swap, that the replacement oil was dino oil.
Would an oil change help? What's the best oil for issues like this? I have rear stand if I need to run it on a stand or such...
Any help appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
have you put clean oil in it lately? the actuator rod can get sticky and gummed up if the motor oil isn't clean.. they get sticky and slow, does it change at all if you hold it in for like 5 seconds before shifting? that can be a sing the actuator rod is moving very slowly cuz of sludge..

if that's the case then you can bet your entire engine needs a good flush, dump some seafoam in the oil and run it for an hour or so, then pull cover off and clean the rod up and all those parts around there, the actuator be careful bearings can come out the actuator mechanism, then clean that and re-grease it make sure that rod is smooth action, same for the actuator mechanism..

then go up the cable all the way to the lever make sure everything is free working and smooth.. if after you put in a good clean oil and filter and run it a bit its still sticky time to check the right side of the bike, clutch so forth..

forks and shift barrel can create hard shifting as well, hale oil level can, too much or not enough..

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Did you try the suggestions made by twisted? Did you have any success with it? I am having similar issues. The push rod doesnt move at all. The actuator seems to be functioning properly...moves about a 1/4 inch or more out at full cable pull. Tried to manually push the rod and it doesnt budge. Not sure if it requires more force than I can manually apply, but nada.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
gonna be tough to push the rod in like that, prolly push the bike over first, you need leverage, first thing is to pull the rod see how sticky it is? if it doesn't wanna pull out of its very difficult then there it is.. indication your oil has gotten dirty and maybe using the oil filter in bypass mode?

real beneficial to change that oil early and often and use a good oil too, good filter..

the clutch actuator can get sticky, lose bearings, go out of adjustment, so forth, check it all, cables can freeze, if its not on that side then its the clutch itself, go with the rod, if the rod is bent it bent for a reason so may as well have a peek at the entire clutch and spec everything out.. I seen bent rods, some are hard to remove..

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
gonna be tough to push the rod in like that, prolly push the bike over first, you need leverage, first thing is to pull the rod see how sticky it is? if it doesn't wanna pull out of its very difficult then there it is.. indication your oil has gotten dirty and maybe using the oil filter in bypass mode?

real beneficial to change that oil early and often and use a good oil too, good filter..

the clutch actuator can get sticky, lose bearings, go out of adjustment, so forth, check it all, cables can freeze, if its not on that side then its the clutch itself, go with the rod, if the rod is bent it bent for a reason so may as well have a peek at the entire clutch and spec everything out.. I seen bent rods, some are hard to remove..
Just to be clear, the rod you say to remove and clean and inspect, it's the short rod (about 5 inch) that the actuator pushes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts