Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a problem with my bike where the starter won't turn unless I fiddle with the clutch lever. I know that's a safety switch to prevent starting in gear with the clutch out, but how do I adjust this? It's a royal pain and I can't find anything in my manual about it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is no adjustment. Try cleaning the switch with some contact cleaner (can be purchased at a radio shack or electronics parts store). Chances are though, you may need a new switch.

If you wanted to bypass the switch for the time being (until the new one came in at the Suzuki dealer) I'm sure that it wouldn't be to difficult being that it only has 2 wires coming from it.

Good Luck!

-Dave

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
If you want to bypass it...follow the wires coming from your clutch as they go under the tank. When you unplug them from the connectors into the wiring harness you will note one is "male" and the other "female"...you can join them and never worry about "adjusting" the contacts on the lever again.

·
3,476 Posts
Funny you should ask, I replaced mine hours ago. If you want to keep it, order a new internal contact. Suzuki calls it a holder, p/n 57465-18601. It's about five bucks. As long as the wires are still soldered o.k., that is probably the problem. The little spring in there gets worn out or lost (oops), and causes a bad connection. Or maybe it's just corroded. I used some dialectric grease on it that I had from my old car with point ignition. It will help the contact from corroding, wearing, and also hold it in the lever to make it easy to assemble. If you want to cheat while your waiting for the part, and not take the tank off, steal the contact from the front brake. It's the same part, and long as you use the back brake you will stll have a tail light. You could also just take a bare piece of wire and bridge the contact, then wrap it with electrical tape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 1255JIMMY:
yep just like they all said not adjustable,switch only costs 5 bucks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FIVE BUCKS!!!! Holy crap - u guys must think I'm just made of money...

Seriously tho - thanks all for the help, I'll bypass it and order the new part. Once again your help is much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts