Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help.
When I'm in 3rd or 4th gear, doing 100+ and I throttle my bike...it seems as if the clutch is slipping (RPM's rise, but the bike doesn't gain acceleration).
I checked it for slippage at low speed by going about 20mph, upshifting to 2nd or 3rd and throttling up, but it doesn't slip. Just bogs a little and slowly speeds up. The RPM doesn't rise or anything...unlike when I'm going fast. Anyone had this happen before? If so...please let me know what you did to fix this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The clutch is beginning to slip. Same thing happened to my bike. At high rpms the clutch has to withstand more hp through it.

Get a whole new clutch kit from ronayers.com, ~$120 for the 10fiber+10steel plates

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Did you go with an OEM clutch or did you get an aftermarket? If you got an aftermarket, which did you get and could you tell a difference as far as putting power to the ground?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
As far as I know, aftermarket is only if you want a cheaper clutch.

Turbo guys use an OE clutch, lockup maybe.

OE rules anyway!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I like to use the OEM steels and fibers but I use the HD barnett springs.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Yeah, the Barnett springs make a real diff. Its definitely the econo way to fix the prob. Other than lockup, you have your choice of the Orient Express coil spring type clutch mod (basically like the earlier GSXRS). Thanks to Edster and 1198 for that pointer!

Barnett suggests one stock spring and one of theirs. I use Barnett for both.

Had the same experience as you when the bike was fairly new and the clutch was stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts