Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, its time to replace my clutch, does anyone have a a step by step write up with pics on how to do this. I have the service manual but some of the steps are vague. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took the clutch apart and some of the steel plates were fried but i'm worried about the discoloration of the crank. Is this normal? there is no physical wear on the clutch basket. Are the springs on the back of the clutch basket supposed to be loose or tight? anyone got some advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The springs r fine loose is normal. the discoloration of the gear on the crank is normal too. looks like u have the clutch figured out see u got it all apart it wasnt nessary to remove the clutch drums to replace clutch plates but it gives u a chance to clean though. as far as the steal plates between the fiber disc, if they r only discolored and surface is still smooth and lay flat on a table they r fine. i use a air power or electric sander with a 80 or 120 grit paper and sand both side of every disk to a dull finish to remove the discoloration and to give a good surface for the clutch fibers disc to grab against. takes a little bit to sand all of them but its worth the effort. when u put it back together make sure the special washer is still on the transmission that goes between it and the clutch drum ,washer is still on in ur pic so ur good if u remove it the crowned side goes toward tranny. also make sure u put the gear back on the clutch drum for the oil pump before re-installing it once u got drum in place holding it against engine toward to trans to insure the oil pump gear stays in place. re-install the race and bearing for it, then put the big flat washer, next install the inner clutch drum and finnaly the washer and nut . it is best to use a impact on the 30mm nut that holds clutch drums in place. once tight take a punch or chisel and indent the rim of nut into a notch on tranny shaft to lock it in place. now comes the clutches. alot people do away with this next item i kept mine in. there r two large spring rings that go in first to the back of the inner drum then a fiber then a steal, now the steals if u take a finger and rub the outer edge of steal u will notice one side has round feeling edge and the other a square feeling edge the round edge faces out wards toward u and the other toward engine put all the steals in this way. well the rest i am sure u know as far as fiber steal fiber steal. if u get the oem suzuki fiber clutches all r the same except for the outer most one toward u. believe its either nine or ten disks including the odd ball one. way to tell them apart is u will notice the all have the same part number on packaging except one that one is the one that goes farthest out. once u got that time for the pressure plate and clutch push rod. place the rod into the tranny then the roller bearing and flat washer then finnally the pressure plate. plate is grooved to go in a certain way so may have take on and off till it goes all the way in place. install the springs and screws dont tighten yet. on the sprocket cover there is a rubber cap may need to remove fairing for room to work once cap is off u will notice a 10mm lock nut on a adjuster screw with a flat head screw driver tip loosen the nut and back the screw off a few turns. now tighten the springs on pressure plate i usually tighten following a star shape sequence. now run the clutch adjuster screw on clutch lever at handle bar till it is 3/4 of the way in then with a screw driver turn adjuster screw on sprocket cover turn it in untill u feel it make contact once it make contact turn back out just a hair very slightly then tighten the 10mm nut back. then check to see u have a little slack on clutch lever if too much or none adjust the screw by the lever on bar end till slack is adjusted to where its has only a little slack. grab lever and feel clutch. watch clutch pressure plate as u squeeze clutch , the pressure should plate go in and out . if all is good reinstall clutch cover and fairing and test drive. it may be nessary to make additional adjustments on clutch good luck and enjoy. feel like a wrote a book lol. tried to give as many details as i could remember should get u where u need to be later bro
Stevo

·
Registered
19 Posts
also just got finished installing a new tranny in my bike. check it out its in the same forum room. have pic of engine broke down. later

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the write up, it was well informed and will use it when re-installing. One question i do have, the push rod was not visibly outside of the tranny rod??? I place a flash light and looked down the tranny rod and could see it, is this a problem? should it of been outside the tranny rod? I know in the service manual you can visibly see it outside the tranny rod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts