Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 GSXR-1100 and it needs the clutch to be replace but I,ve never done a clutch on a bike. They are trying to charge me $280 to do the complete clutch install including the clutch. My question is, how hard is the clutch to do on the bike? Is it worth having someone do it or should I do the job?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'd do it yourself, so next time you'll be a pro.
If your steels are ok you should bead blast them, and make sure you put them all in the same direction. I'd change the oil while your in there.
good luck

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The clutch takes a few special tools including a 50 mm socket, if you use an impact wrench you won't need the clutch holder tool. If you don't have the tools it might be cheaper just to let a shop do it. Get only genuine suzuki plates, they are better than the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
893 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Edster:
I'd do it yourself, so next time you'll be a pro.
If your steels are ok you should bead blast them, and make sure you put them all in the same direction. I'd change the oil while your in there.
good luck
<hr></blockquote>

I agree with doing it yourself, they really are'nt to difficult. But I would replace the complete clutch (plates & springs) take a close look at the basket for wear. Change oil as stated above. Use O.E.M. parts they are the best made!!!
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have done tne clutch on my 1100 and even given my limited mechanical ability it can be done by following the manual. I didn't need a 50mm socket to do the job, but mine has the coils springs for the clutch. Does the 91 mod have the diaphram spring, and is that the reason for the 50mm socket?
Just one word of advise, use genuine friction plates not Barnett kevlar. That was the reason I had to replace the plates in mine, the previous owner put in kevlar plates and they were always dragging even with the clutch pulled in. Put in standard plates and no problems.

Dale

·
Registered
805 Posts
fjimmy123,

Do it yourself!!!

If you are just changing the clutch and springs, you WILL NOT need any special tools. If you remove the basket, you will need an impact wrench or a basket holder. I would go back with OEM parts. Suzuki clutches are the BEST. I would get a service manual and just follow it step by step.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys, me and a freind did the clutch. Its not that hard but it was a little work. I had to buy those special tools but it was worth the knowledge. The only thing a think I did wrong was I got some after market clutch, plates and springs. I hope they last a long time.. I really appreciate your guys help..

thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Barnett plates and springs will work fine. I use them in my '91 GSXR750 racebike. No problems, plus they are about half the price of the Suzuki plates. I haven't tried the Kevlar type, though. It's about a 45 minute job to replace the clutch, counting removing and replacing the bodywork. And, you don't have to remove the basket if it isn't damaged. Check the slots for rough spots or cracks, though. Especially in race applications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.