Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys change both the friction plates and pressure plates when replace your clutch or just the friction plates. I need a clucth but most companies EBC etc only supply friction plates in their "kits". Am I better off using oe suzuki parts or aftermarket. All feed back welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
IMO, Suzuki parts are pretty much the best you can get. these guys designed the parts for the bike. However, EBC make perfectly usable clutch kits.

as for what to change, depends on whats fucked. generally, its just the friction plates that wear out. the plain plates are steel and last a lot longer, although if your clutch has been slipping they may be knackered, take them out and check for 'blueing' which shows excessive heating, and make sure they aint warped.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to see another brit on here! I haven't pulled it apart as yet but I will be doing it before the end of the month( bikefest in milwall make sure you're there!). So if the steel plates aint blue or warped I'm good to go?

·
Yaah I know!
1,020 Posts
Oem clutches are the best, any other brand will chew up your basket at much quiker rate then the clutch gets all noisy and sloppy

Depends on the plates, cheap fix add one set of plates to the original set works for a while
but for best results replace all plates and springs also

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Nice to see another brit on here! I haven't pulled it apart as yet but I will be doing it before the end of the month( bikefest in milwall make sure you're there!). So if the steel plates aint blue or warped I'm good to go?
theres a couple of us about. gotta keep the yanks on the straigh n' narrow

i've not heard of the Milwall Bikefest. I'll look it up.

As Oshweeken suggested, for best performance, its best to service the lot, including the springs, but if the steels are in good shape, just the friction plates should do.
Also mentioned above, while its out have a look at the basket, if thats knarled think about sorting that before loaded it back in the bike with new plates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts