Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 04 with all the mods listed on my auto sig. I went to the 1/4 mile track for the 1st time ever on my 04. The problem is that when I try to launch the bike at about 5000 RPM's where it won't bog down the clutch GRABS all at one time and won't let me slip it at all...I even had a friend who races all the time try to launch my bike and he ran worst times then I did...He said something about the BUSA's having some sort of thing in the clutch that does the same thing and all the racers remove it so that they can slip the clutch. Anyways, is there anyone on here that races the 1/4 mile and has any clutch tricks for me (Short of spending 1000.00 to buy some sort of super duper do hicky....lmao

I was running constent 2.1 60' times (I know this is what is killing me) and going through the traps at 140-142 MPH with a best time of 10.948...

I also know that 1/10th of a sec off of the 60' time is going to be about 2/10th of a sec at the big end...If I could get my 60' time down to 1.6 I would be into the 9's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have an 04 1k and I was at the track last weekend and I didn't have any problems slipping the clutch at all, try adjusting it and see if anything works better for ya. But I was only running 11.1s cause I cant lauch or react well either so I duno what to tell ya haha.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what RPM was you launching at...? If I launched at a lower RPM then I had no problems, but the bike would bog down and almost die....Its only when I tried to launch at higher RPM's when it would grab..

·
Registered
849 Posts
The busa's have some sort of lock up that the guys buy a modded part for but basically all it is ,is two peices welded to make a one peice deal.Not sure if the 03 and up 1ks have this or not.but you could check your clutches and your clutch adjustment that is on the side of the motor as well and adjust that properly and see if that helps.Sorry I could be of more help just not famniliar with the newer 1ks clutch set up.

Tom

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
U're probably just having trouble manipulating the clutch.

What u could do is adjust your lever when u get to the track, so that it will disengage/engage right at the bar. This helps a lot of guys, since it's easier to manipulate it when it's closer, cause it takes less hand strength.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The busa's have some sort of lock up that the guys buy a modded part for but basically all it is ,is two peices welded to make a one peice deal.Not sure if the 03 and up 1ks have this or not.but you could check your clutches and your clutch adjustment that is on the side of the motor as well and adjust that properly and see if that helps.Sorry I could be of more help just not famniliar with the newer 1ks clutch set up.

Tom
I think this is what my friend was tring to tell me about...He thought that my bike might have the same thing in it, but was not for sure...Funny thing is, he asked a few of the guys out there w/ Busa's and it was like they were guarding some sort of huge secret...They wouldn't let there times be displayed to the public either...lmao

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome thanks kid....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem with the clutch grabbing around 5000-5500 when leaving the line. but i made 5 passes on sunday with it best time was 10.13 at 143 mph. My first pass tonight was a 10.11 at 143 mph and 2 runs later it started to grab. i seem to think that one or more of the steel plates in the clutch got hot and warpped alittle making the clutch tighter and harder to slip, this might be your problem too. just something to think about. pull the clutch is some of the steels are alittle hard to get out or they dont slip out nice your problem is the steel plates in the clutch just my 2 cents.....for whatever its worth.....let us know whats up and i will do the same.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that would suck....you would think that they could take a little more abuse then that..

·
Registered
53 Posts
K3-K4 are all doing it in some point. It's because of a mechanical error in clutch design(excuse me for not being specific because im a foreign fella and do not know all the terms). K5 has fixed this error by bilding the clutch twisted so if you start to slip the clutch it will harden the pressure to the plates and so it won't bog - more RPM more = more pressure to the plates. Another thing is that clutch plates last so much more longer with K5's clutch. Im trying to get the the K5 clutch to fit my K4. If i manage that the problems with the clutch are over.
Just another day i changed my clutch plates and only first and the last plate were totally emty and the fiber melted into the steel plates.
Relatevely quick temporary fix is to take out the steel plates and go over them with a sand-paper nr. 600 and make the plates so smooth as possible it will help very well. Another thing is to be sure that the oil is good on tolerating temperature. Racers mostly use 10W40 but it went boiling with 5-6 straight drag runs. I would recommend 5-15W50-60. I ran last night with fresh 5W50 for 13 hard runs and the clutch was doing great and the oil was also doing great...

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a 150cc moped with a CVT (belt drive with two variable pullies) and it launches at like 1250 rpm and pulls to about 6500 rpms and i have no problems with launching it from a dead stop.
it pulls from 0-62mph in about 14seconds, if that helps you understand the massive power i have under my seat.
haha,
-mopedman89

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gixxeron, I'm going to try this clutch cusion that has been advertised. I have heard good things about it, hopefully it'll fix the problem..

·
Registered
260 Posts
If any K4 owners find out whats wrong please let me know.
i bought a k4 a month or so ago and im keen to get it out to the strip & punish it.
ive tried a few practise starts on the back roads and my clutch is doing the same thing.
it sounds really bad, like it makes a big whirry sound then all of a sudden i get a big thud and the power goes straight to the rear wheel. no slip at all.
if i try lowering the revs it does leave fine but the engine bogs.
i don't want to risk breaking something inside the engine.
it seems like the clutch plates don't get enough oil to help them slip or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 1000 clutch is a major weak link for drag racing. If it is maintained properly though , it can be managed. First - don't use anything but stock plates. Your wasting your time with anything else. Start with a fresh set of steels and fibers. Then , after every 15 - 20 passes, pull all the plates out, flip over the fibers, and shuffle them around. Sure it s alot of trouble, but it works. The guys that run the really fast bikes ( turbo busas, etc) do it after every pass. Soak em in oil, and reassemble. Be sure to keep the steels all facing the same direction. A good set of strong springs is a must also. Use a good synthetic oil also - there is tremendous heat generated...Lower the gearing also. This bike has a very tall first gear - it was designed for roadracing. It also helps to just start engaging the clutch before the revs come up. You want to feed in the clutch and roll the throttle open together in one smooth motion. It aint easy - it takes practice.
Go to Brock Davidson's site. he has great information on clutch management.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts