Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch master cyl on my 91 1100M is very stiff. I have lubed the lever and pivot but the action is just to hard. Makes my hand hurt in traffic. Bleeding did not help either.

What are my options?

New Unit? From where?

Rebuild? Can I do it? Who can?

Junk yard? Where and is there a better part?

Thanks guys!

CT

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Lockhart Phillips sells a remote res. replacement simlar to the one used on a ZX7-ZX9, you can also use one from a Busa or late 1100 if you want to stay with a stock look. I am currently using a cable clutch conversion on my 88 7-11 and the stock hyd on my 90 1100. The pull on both is pretty hard as I am using a HD Barnett in both.
Bones

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking its the clutch. I saw the original owner yesterday and I asked about the clutch. He said "it has a Race style Kevlar clutch". I thought the 1127's had the diaphram spring and that you could not upgrade to a higher rate spring... Hence I figured the master cyl was bad. I know this... You cant hold it in for more than about 20 secs before your hand sears with pain. The action is not bleeding down and it feels smooth.

Thanks for the help.

CT

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
mines as light as a feather.............check them springs mate.

Andy

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
If the Orginal owner used the Barnett Kevlar Fibers that alone would not make the realese stiff. He probably used the heavy duty diaphram springs from Barnett. I use one of the HD ones with one stock one and it works great! Stronger holding power but not to hard on the forearm.
Bones

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
If the Orginal owner used the Barnett Kevlar Fibers that alone would not make the realese stiff. He probably used the heavy duty diaphram springs from Barnett. I use one of the HD ones with one stock one and it works great! Stronger holding power but not to hard on the forearm.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am going to open the case cover this weekend. Its so hard that my hand hurts. The Cyl is bad or someone put massive springs in. I am no wimp but riding this in traffic is getting old. A friend rode the bike and complained of the stiff lever as well. I will let you guys know what I find.

CT

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If all else fails, take the lever off and trek on down to a machinist/welder with and oxy acetylene torch. If you heat it up slowly and evenly, you can then (carefully) bend it so that when reinstalled it would be a bit closer to the clipons. This'll give you a lot more mechanical advantage, rather than just using the tips of your fingers or that sort of thing.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.