Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 180 miles on my K5. I noticed yesterday, not sure if it has been that way all along, that whenever I let the clutch lever all the way out there is still a small gap between the lever and where it rests. I can put my fingers behind the lever and push it forward until it meets the stationary part mounted on the perch. I may not be making myself clear on this but the gap where you would measure the free play on the lever never closes all the way unless you push forward on the clutch lever. The clutch seems to function properly. Why does my cable have so much slack in it?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how it's supposed to be. Is that your first bike?
No, I believe this is bike #12 for me. I guess I am not explaining it well enough. There should not be a gap unless some pressure is applied. There is always a gap on this bike unless the lever is pushed forward.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I noticed this a bit yesterday too. As the clutch heats up it will develop some free play in it. That's why racers user those quick adjust clutch cable adjusters so they can turn out some of that slack mid-race if need be. When you take your bike in for it's first service they will check and re-adust the clutch most likely, the clutch also has a little break-in to it just like anything else on the bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I noticed this a bit yesterday too. As the clutch heats up it will develop some free play in it. That's why racers user those quick adjust clutch cable adjusters so they can turn out some of that slack mid-race if need be. When you take your bike in for it's first service they will check and re-adust the clutch most likely, the clutch also has a little break-in to it just like anything else on the bike.
+1

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have 180 miles on my K5. I noticed yesterday, not sure if it has been that way all along, that whenever I let the clutch lever all the way out there is still a small gap between the lever and where it rests. I can put my fingers behind the lever and push it forward until it meets the stationary part mounted on the perch. I may not be making myself clear on this but the gap where you would measure the free play on the lever never closes all the way unless you push forward on the clutch lever. The clutch seems to function properly. Why does my cable have so much slack in it?

Thanks,
Steve
Mine does that also. Just figured thats the way it was. I went to my local dealer and looked at the bikes they had set up and it was the same.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mine has 1200 miles on it,it does the same,and yes my other bikes returned fine,my buddy owns a shop,and most snap right back,i have adjusted the clutch,and still the same,i guess its normal,some people never notice these things,this is about twelve for me to

1 - 7 of 7 Posts