Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarrassing but years of riding I've never done it, I've tried a few times but felt I could never do it right because the shifter was stiff and never moved unless I pulled in the clutch.

about a week ago now I watched this video
and finally it made sense, it has to happen the second you take load off of the trans and it will smoothly slide right in (thats what she said)
now, on my K6 1000, I cannot stop doing it, 2-6 I'm smoothly and gently shifting without the clutch. It's amazing, even on some high speed pulls 2-6 shifts feels just... right.

That said, how safe is this? that video says its fine, it feels fine and not jerky at all, my clutch isn't feeling a thing either I assume.

That said, I see many motovloggers on youtube and almost none of them do it, unless it has a quickshifter built in.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
I do it on occasion, but I don't see any need to not pull in the clutch. I may eventually buy a quickshifter, that way I can do it the proper way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is some pretty heated debate on this topic. The argument against clutchless shifting is that as the gear dogs start to engage the engine is still firing causing them to slam together before they are fully seated. The dog may only be 1 mm into the gear slot, and bam, engine fires and the dogs engage. Eventually this can start to round the end of the dogs and slots in the gears.

Using the clutch isolates the engine firing from the gear box, as does a quick shifter which kills the ignition to unload the gears.

I tend to believe clutchless shifting is not completely harmless for your transmission. The fella from TheWorkshop youtube channel goes into it in depth, and shows some worn gear dogs that were shifted in this manner.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
I hardly ever use the clutch on up shifts under moderate to hard acceleration. Plus it sounds better. :biggrin If I'm just lazily grabbing gears (like the youtube vloggers while their talking to you) I'll use the clutch but even then, it's still not necessary to use it.

It's totally safe when done right. :thumbup You'll know you've done it wrong if/when you hear a metal to metal "clunk" going into the next gear. Plus it'll instantly I feel wrong. :thumbdown

BTW...there's been a zillion threads on this topic already. :cheers

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
There no need to use the clutch when upshifting. Ever. Roll off the throttle, click it into the next gear, and get back on the gas.

Hundreds of thousands of street miles, tens of thousands of track miles, never a transmission issue.

It is perfectly safe.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,124 Posts
That said, how safe is this? that video says its fine, it feels fine and not jerky at all, my clutch isn't feeling a thing either I assume.
I'm not sure about that. Even assuming a relatively quick upshift, there's going to be a difference in speeds between the engine and rear wheel, when the next gear engages. The clutch will be engaged, with the full force of the springs pushing the plates together, but it has to slide a bit until the engine and rear wheel speeds are equalized (otherwise something would have to bend). How much that is, depends on the particulars of the shift, and whether its easier on the clutch to match speeds under less pressure (when you smoothly release the lever during a normal gear change) compared to matching under full pressure, I'm not sure. I'd suppose that it should be fine, for upshifts at least and for all transitions, except perhaps 1-2, where the speed difference is greater.

The effect of shifting under engine load on the dog teeth, would also be a plausible source of concern, as b3w4r3 mentioned.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There no need to use the clutch when upshifting. Ever. Roll off the throttle, click it into the next gear, and get back on the gas.

Hundreds of thousands of street miles, tens of thousands of track miles, never a transmission issue.

It is perfectly safe.
was hoping you'd respond. I'll side with your opinion rather then many others since I've read many of you "expertize" comments over the years on this forum.

I did notice there were many topics on this , but it's been a while so I left it :)

·
3,844 Posts
This makes me want to order a quickshifter.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
This makes me want to order a quickshifter.
Quickshifters for the street are pointless, but for the track they are invaluable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
downshifting auto blip would be nice, but for upshifts at this point, its just as good as a quickshifter only I wouldn't have to let off the throttle.

practicing the shiftless clutching I feel like i just got a quickshifter now. At least in my mind not using the clutch was the most important thing for me, so theres that :)

·
3,844 Posts
Quickshifters for the street are pointless, but for the track they are invaluable.
I suppose the same argument could be made for clutchless shifting. :lol

I’d probably get it for the occasional track and drag strip visits, and mess around with it on the street.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
I suppose the same argument could be made for clutchless shifting. :lol
....as well as exhaust systems and all other pointless mods we do to our street bikes. :lol

I've been wanting a quick shifter too. I have no reason for needing one other than because it sounds good and I have nothing else to do to my bike at the moment. Gotta ticker with something! :lmao

·
Registered
99 Posts

It is perfectly safe.
My son started MX racing at age 5. I taught him to upshift shift his KTM65 without using the clutch - he was genuinely confused when he realized that he needed to clutch his 600 in heavy traffic... 11 or so years later.

We just sold his 2003 KTM this summer. Hundreds of races and countless hours practicing - the bike shifts perfectly to this day.

One piece of advice on the clutchless shifts - it won't work correctly if your chain is loose, and can cause problems (rounded dogs etc.) if the chain is not properly maintained.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
3,844 Posts
....as well as exhaust systems and all other pointless mods we do to our street bikes. :lol

I've been wanting a quick shifter too. I have no reason for needing one other than because it sounds good and I have nothing else to do to my bike at the moment. Gotta ticker with something! :lmao
Another reason why I want one: something to mess around with. I can probably make most of my money back on it, too, if I sold the bike

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Says the guy who's looking at an Italian lady? :fact

Or are you keeping the geisha girl too?

You fucking pervert!

The Gixxer is in the family for life. No more selling bikes for me. I have enough regrets already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts